A week ago, I'd noticed my porcupine puffer and flame angel coming down with a few spots of ich. I treated for a week with Greenex, and the spots disappeared, but yesterday the puffer was covered in spots, as was the angel. (There is a yellow tang and a false perc in there as well, that so far look okay.)
I only have a 10-gallon QT
, so we bought a 23-gallon rubbermaid container to serve as a QT
, and I'm going to put all 4 fish in there and leave the tank fallow for 4 weeks.
I'm trying to decide what course of treatment to take. The problem is, I don't have a refractometer. Best I can do is either a swing arm (what we have now) or a glass hydrometer. Is either of these going to work well enough to safely do hyposalinity? Is there enough time to do hyposalinity? The puffer has the worst of the spots, and so far seems fine, but I'm concerned that he's going to start heading downhill if it isn't taken care of soon, especially since this has been going on for a week now.
The other problem is that I know puffers are sensitive to copper treatments. So I'm really not sure at this point which would be the safer method.