Sun Coral Coming out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boolay1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had a sun coral for about a week I feed it Brine, with a pop bottle over it and this is the most the heads come out, is this normal? It's shaded low flow not sure what else to do to get the heads out!

image-410927837.jpg

Feeding it will not help, unless the heads are fully exposed.
Does it come out more at night?
Check it out at night, to see if the heads fully extend.
Until it gets used to your feeding schedule, you may need to feed it at night. After a little while, it will get used to your schedule, and open up in anticipation of the food going into the tank.
I've had mine about 2 years, and it knows when food is coming.

Yeah, mine used to only come out after 1AM. Got tired of feeding it at that time of day, so over course of 3 weeks or so, I finally have it coming out at around 7-8pm. Much better. :)

Long time owner of one similar in size. Those heads look like they were underfed for a while before you got it. Should be double that size. Take the juice from two cubes of B shrimp, turn off all flow and gently blow the juice only on the heads. Wait 15 min till they are full extended and feed it shrimp and other large chunks of meaty goodness.....they can eat a ton when healthy. Gently feed! Very hearty, just need to feed chunks.

CaptainJugz said:
Long time owner of one similar in size. Those heads look like they were underfed for a while before you got it. Should be double that size. Take the juice from two cubes of B shrimp, turn off all flow and gently blow the juice only on the heads. Wait 15 min till they are full extended and feed it shrimp and other large chunks of meaty goodness.....they can eat a ton when healthy. Gently feed! Very hearty, just need to feed chunks.

When you say fully extended do you mean with flowers out?

Yeah. You will know. The polyps get really inflated, and sticky

I have tried all sorts and seen the flowers out just that the heads get bigger

Check my album out. I had one for a while it would only come out at night, I trained it to come out during the day. It did very well! I have it to my LFS because I wanted to do a brain garden.

Try feeding during the day so it will "learn" to come out at that time. It can be done.

Done what has been suggested and this is as far as they come out....

image-349209311.jpg

Boolay1978 said:
Done what has been suggested and this is as far as they come out....

Do the tentacles (flower part) ever come out fully?? Have you checked with a flashlight at 1-2 AM? If they NEVER come out fully, that's not looking too good. They have to come out more so it can eat.

Patience is the key don't overfeed trying to get them to come out. I had mine for a month before they came all the way out now they come out at almost every feeding time.you are right on with using the half bottle to feed them keep up the good work and they will be fine

Back
Top Bottom