Sun polyp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brooklyn2la

Aquarium Advice Regular
Purchased a sun polyp about 6 wks ago- I have not seen it open fully. I have tried mysis and I've only seen it open just a little. H20 is perfect according to test kit and temp is 79- ish during daytime. I supplement with liquid reef and is placed in the shade. The test kit says that phos's are good but I have a small bit of algae that the snails usually take care of.
How do I get her to eat & what are the signs that things are going downhill.
On a brighter note- the Xenia I purchased with the S/P is growing & spreading.

I would shut down all flow, baste it with some food, wait 10-15 min. The presence of the food should trigger it to open more. Then feed it some moe.
Also I would make sure that there is enough space for it to open without rubbing on the rocks. This could be why it's not opening fully. Hard to tell from pic if there's enough room or not. Good luck with it.
If you get in a routine with feeding it, same time of day all the time, it will get trained to open at that time, to receive food. It should also be fed at least every other day.

Flreefer said:
I would shut down all flow, baste it with some food, wait 10-15 min. The presence of the food should trigger it to open more. Then feed it some moe.
Also I would make sure that there is enough space for it to open without rubbing on the rocks. This could be why it's not opening fully. Hard to tell from pic if there's enough room or not. Good luck with it.
If you get in a routine with feeding it, same time of day all the time, it will get trained to open at that time, to receive food. It should also be fed at least every other day.

Doing it right now. It's opened some but not a whole lot

Have you ever checked to see if it's open at like 3am? Mine usually opens most of the night.
Doesn't have to be that late, but at least a few hours after lights out.
Being non- photosynthetic, mines usually closed most of the day, until daylights have been off for awhile. With only the blues on, it starts to open up. That's also when I normally feed it too, every other day with Mysis and Cyclopeze. Cyclops is mainly for other corals, but they all get fed at once, target of course.

Mine would come out only at night also, I started target feeding during the day, I cut the bottom of a Dixie cup and I would place it over the coral and use a baster to feed. It opens during the day now for a little while but still mostly at night. I've learned patience will win this one and it has for me.

image-1129608246.jpg

Convict2161 said:
Mine would come out only at night also, I started target feeding during the day, I cut the bottom of a Dixie cup and I would place it over the coral and use a baster to feed. It opens during the day now for a little while but still mostly at night. I've learned patience will win this one and it has for me.

I'm so jealous!

Convict2161 said:
Have you tried a turkey baster? How tall is it?

That's what I'm using but it's not long enough- I saw a kit that had 3 sizes for $25- guess I'm going to buy that. I have a JBJ nanocube 28 gal

Brooklyn2la said:
That's what I'm using but it's not long enough- I saw a kit that had 3 sizes for $25- guess I'm going to buy that. I have a JBJ nanocube 28 gal

Ok that should work then. It's the nano cube? I have this I think it's like 2 feet long. It's like a speargun lol but it works great for hard to reach areas!

Good luck :)

I have been battling the same problem with my prism favia. I was working out of town so was hard to get a feeding routine but now im back at home and have been seeing improvement. I target feed a small amount every night after daylights go out and last night it actually opened up and ate. It's a process but if you keep at it diligently you will get results. I would also suggest moving it out of the rock hole cause that can be a contributing factor.

Last night it kinda opened. I'm picking up the turkey baster looking kit today. Thanks for the support!
Funny how people say that aquariums are supposed to de-stress you- this thing is giving me an ulcer!

Back
Top Bottom