Surface gasping fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lobo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the hobby and last night, after feeding my 2 clowns, they have stayed at the top corner surface of their 10 g tank gasping.

This morning they where at the same corner.. It doesn't looks like they have sleep.

Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate. 40
Specific gravity 1.025

Could that be causing the gasping? How can I lower the level?

Funny. What makes you think they didn't sleep? Large bags under their eyes? :) Sorry. Couldn't help that.

How long have they been in the tank?

yeah its looking about time for a PWC, 40 isnt high, but you dont want to keep it that way for long periods of time, though i dont think that could be causing the problem

austinsdad said:
Funny. What makes you think they didn't sleep? Large bags under their eyes? :) Sorry. Couldn't help that.

How long have they been in the tank?

Because as a routine when I wake up at 6 am they are always steady inside a shell that comes out on one of the live rock and this morning they where at the same upper corner of the tank gasping just lime last night 10pm.

They have been in the tank for 3 weeks

how is the flow in your tank? is the surface of the water "disturbed" sounds like an O2 issue to me. BUT when i had the terrible break out of brooklynella it started with 2 O. Clowns doing what you are describing . any discoloration on the fish. white spots. blotching? excess slime?

They are looping better. I added an airstote... But I don't think that me temperature is helping... average is 82f so sometimes it goes ip to 86.

Brad.Sedore said:
how is the flow in your tank? is the surface of the water "disturbed" sounds like an O2 issue to me. BUT when i had the terrible break out of brooklynella it started with 2 O. Clowns doing what you are describing . any discoloration on the fish. white spots. blotching? excess slime?

No discoloration, white spots etc.

The higher the temo the less Oxygen in the tank. Personally I dont see anything wrong with 82. As long as it`s a stable 82 you`ll be OK. 86 is a different story. What`s putting the temps that high. Heater? Room temp?

a temp of 86 would likely explain an O2 problem . i would probably look into lowering the temp and not recomend an air stone that will mess with your ph hard

melosu58 said:
The higher the temo the less Oxygen in the tank. Personally I dont see anything wrong with 82. As long as it`s a stable 82 you`ll be OK. 86 is a different story. What`s putting the temps that high. Heater? Room temp?

Well, I live in Puerto Rico where temp. are high all season. I'm trying not to turn on the lights until I can get some led lights. I think that the combination of room temp. and lights are killing me.

i dont know what kinda resources you have but i have a friend that made a DIY water cooler to combat high ambeint temperature.

Basicly what he did was take a smaller pump run the outlet out of his tank then onto a piece of ply wood with hose clamps screwed onto it so the hose would go the length of the board then turn them and run them back down the length of the board and so on and so for until the board was covered then just ran a regular fan infront of them... worked well for him

i know thats a terrible description i can go into better detail if you would be intrested in building something like that

I changed the lights to LED and I'm doing 79 f steady!

basicly running an airstone drives the CO2 out of your water causing the PH to rise. not to meantion salt creep and all the other nasty things that come from it.. just better off you use powerheads

I run an air pump with stone in my QT during hypo, I recall reading that it's helpful because it adds additional air to the water. Raising the pH sounds like a bonus, as it's always too low during hypo.

Back
Top Bottom