Sweeper on Finger Leather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
what is this thing that comes out on my finger leather at night. it looks like a net of slime. it it kind of clear and they just go with the current. in the day time they are not as long as in the nigh. are they sweepers? or is it looking for food?

well i do not have that yet. but that is what i tough it could just be slim. but i have seen it draw it in and out like it was trying to move it. like a spider web it is almost like it can make a web or some thing

Could also be that your leather has a parasite nestled in there somewhere. Do you see any kind of obvious lump or hole where the web comes from?

Cheers
Steve

well if they do not have sweeper how dose it know if there is another coral next to it. i think it had found out that the toadstool was right next to it and started war. i have been doing water changes and move the toadstool to the other side of the tank. but ass for the slim i can not see any nesting or large lumps so i do not know. but it is is what that link said it ws i will just let it be. if it gets worse i will then do some thing.

well if they do not have sweeper how dose it know if there is another coral next to it.

They can smell/taste each other. How does a dog know another dog is just around the corner. Each coral will produce mucus/slime and emit a chemical signature (I'm sure this is not right, but you get the jist) that other corals sense/taste/smell the coral equivalent of that. Sweeper tentacles are not the seekers, they are the destoyers.

Btw, sorry for the assbackwards explanation, but I can't seem to find the correct terminology to explain it, perhaps someone else will come behind me and clean it up a bit.

A general term would be allelopathy. About half way down the page on >>this arcticle<< it explains it a bit better. Basically think of it as "scent" or chemical regognition.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom