Swollen eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found one of my Clarkii's eye has swollen up quite badly. It also appears to be cloudy. Does anyone what the problem is? What should I do? I think it would be difficult to QT him because of the LR and corals. The other fish seems to be okay.

Attachments

• clarkii.jpg
    clarkii.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 74
Almost looks like popeye. A disease that causes the eyes to bulge out. Dont know how to treat it . I`m sure one of the advisors will be on soon to tell you how. In the meantime a water change might help it definitely cant hurt.

It does look like popeye disease. Since only one of his eyes is bulging, I am wondering whether this is self inflicted, perhaps a scrap with other fish. Would something like Epsom salt help? I have been doing regular water changes on a weekly basis and I feed once every other day to keep my water parameters good.

Increase your frequencey of water changes (well aged/aerated) to a 3-4 over the next week and about 15-20% depending on your normal amount. Be sure to soak all foods in a liq vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] as well. This is actually quite common and easily fixed provided nutrient in the system is lowered and the immune system is boosted.

Meds are almost never required. It should clear up (reduced swelling at the very least) in a few days following the water changes.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, I actually did a water change before he has this popeye. And I have been doing a weekly 20% water change. So is this caused by water condition or is there a disease in the water? Nevertheless, I have some aged salt water which I'll change tonight.

It's not popeye from what I can see, more than likely a simple abbrasion. The water changes your currently doing will not be the cause but increasing the frequencey of water changes for the short term (3-4 over the next week) will be part of the solution.

When a fish suffers a mild injury, it can for the most part heal on it's own. The two most important factors being water quality and diet. If these two components are being met properly (in a relatively stress free environment), the use of meds is almost always not a necessity. Even if your numbers (NH3/NO2/NO3) are low/undetectable does not mean the water is free from DOC/organics, merely the biofilter is functioning correctly and being processed. The opportunistic bacteria will still be able to feed off this available nutrient and make a moutain out of a mole hill so to speak. Increasing water changes over the short term ensures a reduction in these nutrients that would otherwise fuel these bacteria preventing them from getting a foothold. With a properly functioning immune system, the fish can do the rest.

Cheers
Steve

i had a damsil do that while he was fighting a bacterial infection thought he was gonna lose his eye
fed him with zoe and guarlic guard twice a day healed up great

My Clarkii is getting better, but very slowly. I too feed him with zoe, selcon and garlic. I hope his eye doesn't drop though.

Have you been doing the water changes as well? It's a very important part of the healing process!!

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom