Sword tail has white stuff on her, nothing has helped yet..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatcat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My female swordtail is in a 15 gal tank with another female. I moved all the males to the other tank and took out most of the decor.
Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5. They have a heater at 78 f, an air stone, whisper filter and a few plants.
She has white patches on both sides of her, it's not ick, and it isn't fuzzy and she has what almost looks like pimples near her anal fin, and where the patches are her scales look like they are fraying out!.

I've treated her with 2 treatments of tetra fungus guard(4 days each) nothing really changed but my molly died. And I did a treatment of api general cure after That(4 days).
That didn't work either so I started doing salt dips because I read columnaris will die in salt, 3 tablespoons per gal, 15 mins, then 3 mins in a much less salt solution. (she never passed out but almost once) i did this for 3 days and still nothing.

Friday I moved the males to the big tank but kept the moma with her so neither one get too stressed from over breeding or loneliness. I started all in on remedy from marine land too, and it says to use for 5 days so I'm going to see how it goes.. any ideas what do do after if it doesn't work or anything?
The water has been very clean durning all of this but she was exposed to to nitrates for a while before, and this has been on her for 5 weeks or so, I'm really worried and don't know what to do

All of my fish had diseases or parasites, from petsmart, but this is the worst and it has not spread to any other fish. A few months ago my Molly had a white fuzz growing on it but I got it to go away some how.. Fungus also started growing in my tank 4 weeks ago after I took the air stone out for a while.. Please help! Any advice is appreciated!
Pictures are in this link
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/swordtail-is-still- covered-in-white-stuff-what-now..-572526.html#573411

My best advice I can give is stop buying fish at petsmart. They are over priced and are full of problems. Find a good local store and buy from there. It will keep you away from all the sicknesses. All of these fungus problems also could be from over feeding or not cleaning the substrate. Are you using gravel?

Shep

Big name pet shops are a hit or miss place. Petco gets their fish from dr froster and smith as they have purchased the online store.

However they are not as overpriced as your small LFS. At least where I live, Petco are always cheaper and u just need to know which store to go to as the person in charge really makes or break the aquarium dept.

Just over the weekend, a Petco store has 3 yellow tangs and a blue tang on 30% sale. I really want to buy one of them, but they were filled with icK's. That stopped me.

Another Petco store has the same 30% off and I brought a salifin tang. I still quarantine it but at least it wasn't showing any icks.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My LFS are way more expensive than my chain stores. Guess it depends on location.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Mollies can be kept in freshwater, brackish, or full salt. They are highly adaptable with enough acclimation.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm aware of this- swordtails and guppies can as well (and platys although it is harder). But if these fish are in saltwater then a saltwater dip is not an effective treatment option, and if they aren't then this is in the wrong section and may be better off in the freshwater section.

Petco is different, petco is definitely based on who runs the department. I have two near me and they are both completely different. Petco near me is still super over priced on fish and corals. Thank god for the dollar a gallon sale though!

Shep

What about dog patch? We went up there and we saw dead fish.. The only other place is paradise fish (I'm going to check out) but they are very expensive .
In my 15 gal, I had mollies and swordtails and they were in slight brackish water. But when my molly died I stopped putting salt in.

My heater doesn't adjust so should I just turn it off?

And if it was Columnaris, wouldn't have speed to any of my other fish? She was in there with another female and 2 males (none hurt, but I believe they had parasites)

Back
Top Bottom