Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

System shock from sump upgrade?

I recently upgraded my sump from a proflex(about 10 gallons) to a DIY sump made from a 30 gallon tank. Before everything looked fine and after I made the switch I noticed my acros didn't look so well including a green pagoda and open brain coral looked very stressed. Any ideas?most of the biomaterial was transferred to the new sump including new live rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarti54 View Post
I recently upgraded my sump from a proflex(about 10 gallons) to a DIY sump made from a 30 gallon tank. Before everything looked fine and after I made the switch I noticed my acros didn't look so well including a green pagoda and open brain coral looked very stressed. Any ideas?most of the biomaterial was transferred to the new sump including new live rock.

If all you changed was the container you were using for the sump, the problem has to be within the new DIY sump. Did you change the flow rate through the bio material? Did you make the 30 gal. tank yourself? If so, did you use the correct sealant? How long was the transfer time between sumps? maybe the new live rock has had some die off and contaminated the main tank a bit? Any of these may be the cause. Time to check the water parameters and possibly do a water change if none of the items I listed relate to your situation.

Hope this helps

Old 07-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
If all you changed was the container you were using for the sump, the problem has to be within the new DIY sump. Did you change the flow rate through the bio material? Did you make the 30 gal. tank yourself? If so, did you use the correct sealant? How long was the transfer time between sumps? maybe the new live rock has had some die off and contaminated the main tank a bit? Any of these may be the cause. Time to check the water parameters and possibly do a water change if none of the items I listed relate to your situation.

Hope this helps

Flow rate is the same tank was prefab I just did the baffles myself with aquarium sealant. Transfer time 15+/- mins. I had a pH drop as soon as I turned on the main pump and began running the new sump. And did a water change the next day and yesterday I saw nitrates go from 0-10 and doing another water change later today. However only certain corals have taken stress my orange leptastrea is fine including zooanthids and favites. Fish are fine too. It's a four year system so pretty we'll established.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then it sounds like your new live rock may have had some die off which caused the nitrates which POed your corals. My only thoughts with the PH drop would be the sealant wasn't fully cured as it is acidic until cured.
Water changes hopefully will get everything back to normal.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

May be worth running some carbon to pull out any contaminates? Not sure if it will solve your problem but worth doing IMO

Tags
stem, sump, system, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com