Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to AIKakashi
Tad freaked out, I think all is ok but freaky

ok... I have an electric blue hermit crab. He's an awesome little guy... though he enjoys eating my snails. but I digress.

I came to feed my fish today and I noticed something weird that wasn't there this morning, something bright blue a few inches away from him.

HIS LEGS!!!!!

this is what I saw!!!! (Sorry bout my sucky camera.)

I picked him up and saw this

kinda see those pinchers circled? (Hard to see in the crappy photo. I don't know how to use my camera yet maybe its operator error. I don't know. but you can kinda see them.

they are where the legs were.

IS THAT NORMAL?! And what do I do with the legs? Just fish them out and flush them? Does he eat them? I mean gross!!

Old 04-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He's molted? Jeff

Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #3

that's what I wondered. I've searched everywhere online but I can't find anything on electric blue hermit crabs losing legs like baby teeth.

It really freaked me out... but he seems to be ok, and there are pinchers where the legs are suppose to be, my only worry, were they always there and because of the legs I never noticed them... what do I do with the legs? throw them away... does he eat them? Eww gross but some animals do shed their body parts and eat them. eww gross.

I mean... no one told me about this happening and no one has information about this.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
My fire shrimp molted last weekend. There was a really neat parts of his exoskeleton in the tank. I left it there because it looked pretty cool, the next day his molted shell was gone....Some one ate it...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Normally they will eat their own molts, it's a good source of food for them. Maybe he just hadn't gotten to the leg part yet?

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #6

bleh

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com