Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tang aggresion question

I added a sailfin to my main today and the purple tang started pestering him. Just constantly pushing against him. I caught the purple tang and put him in my fuge. How long should I leave him there before I return him to the main? I have never had a problem before so I am new to this.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Purples are known for their major aggressive tendencies. I would wait until you have completely finished adding fish, or at least tang-like species. If you are finished, then I would give him at least a couple weeks or more in solitary. Is it also substantially larger than the other tangs? If so, you may always have problems.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The sailfin is larger than the purple. The purple gets along great with the convict and regal tangs. He is not a happy camper in the fuge. At least he has plenty to eat.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The convict and regal do not have the same body type....he doesnt see them as being important
Old 01-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was aware of them only going after same body type. I figured since the purple was young and the sailfin was larger it would be minimal. I asked a question about this a couple months ago and the responses I got thought it would be fine also. They were only in the main together for less than 5 minutes. I may give him another chance soon and give them more time together to see what happens. I have rigged a neat fish trap. If it still causes a problem. It only took me about 10 seconds to catch him.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #6

would like to hear more about this neat fish trap.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Quote:
I added a sailfin to my main today and the purple tang started pestering him. Just constantly pushing against him.
I had the same issue with a Purple Tang. Many people at the LFS told me that we could put him in there and it wouldn't be a problem, but he attacked my tangs, 1 in particular, pecking at his fins until he was so stressed out that he had red spots all over him.

I took out the Purple Tang and returned him the next day. I did some research online and found out that Purple Tangs are aggressive and are not to be put with tangs of the same body shape.

It's a shame because I absolutely LOVE the Purple Tang, but it's not worth my other 4 Tangs.

At any rate, I don't think putting him in isolation will work. I think it will only stress him out even more and you may loose him. If there's not alot of places for the Sailfin to hide, you may be in trouble with this combo of fish.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know they are one of the more aggressive tangs but they can co-exist. I have had a yellow tang in the tank with him before. My tank is large enough they can still have their territories. He was not nipping etc. just pushing against the sailfin. Since it was new to the tank I just took the purple out for a while to let the sailfin settle in. I will try again maybe as early as tomorrow depending on how they look.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
I've noticed your profile with a 500g tank? OMG, I would be SOO in love with that. Where did you find the space for it and how hard is it to keep up?

I currently have a nook in my wall where my 65" bigscreen tv is, but I've had ideas about taking it out and putting an acrylic tank there and doing a real custom job on it.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank separates the foyer from the great room. It is easy to keep up. Probably easier than yours once you get stuff set up. Expect a nice power and salt bill.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=558776#558776

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com