Tang black spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flowin

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tang has a big black spot on the side of him and i was wondering what it could be hes been kinda just floating around

Attachments

• image-1666309210.jpg
    image-1666309210.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1290017954.jpg
    image-1290017954.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-754075141.jpg
    image-754075141.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 81
My tang has a big black spot on the side of him and i was wondering what it could be hes been kinda just floating around

Out of curiosity is it flicking/scratching?

Off hand it could be a few different things such as Black Ich which is basically an infestation of flatworms or it could be Ammonia/Nitrate Burns, stress can even cause them to develop black splotches as well as lose color.. What's your water parameters?

I guess you could say flicking and scratching but more just like laying on the bottom of tank breathing heavy.

Nitrate-0
Alk.-300
Ph-7.8
Nitrite-0
Dont have an ammonia tester

How long have you had him? If he is in a 30g (is that right) tank he is most likely really upset by being so cramped and would say it is only a matter of time before he goes. :(

Ya hes in a 30 gallon hes been here for about 3 months i was planning on taking him back when he got bigger but i guess right now would be the best time.

Ya i did one a couple hours ago but he didnt make it, i've never seen it before the black was all over him and it wasnt little dots it was a almost likt whis color changed.

Had it been eating? If so, what?

As was pointed out, putting Tangs in small tanks will usually stress them. There is not a Tang out there that is meant to go in a 30g. Koles, Tominis and a few others can thrive in a 75g, but most others need 120g or more. The 75g for some Tangs is a recommended minimum size, which I have always read as being okay for the minimum size Tang. Almost every thread you see on here with a "my Tang has problems" comes from a Tang that is in a "too small" tank. IMO, that is not coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom