Tang Dieing! What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Yellow Tang he is laying on his Side and not Active at all. I Put him in a Platic bag. He is just laying there breathing. Any Advice?

Not sure what your hope is by putting him in a plastic bag. Seems to be sealing his fate. He needs lots of clean water right now, not a bag! Have you tested your water yet?

Agree plastic bag is the worst thing to do. Is there other fish in the tank? Water parameters? Anything visible on the fish?

Why did you put it in a bag? The PH/oxygen level is dropping and nh3/no2 is rising as you read this. I hope it’s to take it back to the lfs!

I'm feeling sorry for the Mandarin right about now after looking at your tank. You should seriously think about returning it also as your tank can't possibly have enough pods for it to survive much longer.

Is your sig up to date? That yellow tang is most likely just the canary in the coal mine, as it were. I would be inclined to return the mandarin as well. Even if you have 100# of rock in there the mandarin cannot survive in such a new tank with such a miniscule amount of pod life at its disposal.

Not to speak for Choas or anything but, what do you mean by Canary in a Coal Mine?

I think she meant “Canary in a Coal Mine” as a double analogy being that the tang is yellow (like a canary) and because in the old days before air testing was done in coal mines canaries were used to serve as air monitors for methane gas and if they died then you needed to get out of the mine quick!
http://petcaretips.net/canary-coal-mine.html

Hence the signs of the tang being sick may just be the starting point of more trouble to come with the rest of his fish.

Come on now timbo. I can not take de-nitrator advice from someone who does not know what the canary in a coal mine is. :D

An excerpt from: http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/12/messages/197.html

"Long before this technology [methanometer] became available, miners might take a canary or other small animal underground. A canary is much more sensitive and would show that methane levels were high by, well, dying."

Yellow tangs are typically very hardy. I can't imagine what the water parameters would be to make one of them suffer so quickly and seemingly fatally. I'm guessing that it is just the first to fall.

Ok, I really never thought about what it meant...Man this site is great. you learn things all the time..... :D

Choas I am not making light of your Tang having difficulty.. And I apologize for hijacking the thread...

Brenden said:
Come on now timbo. I can not take de-nitrator advice from someone who does not know what the canary in a coal mine is. :D

:D Especially one that’s pushing 40. When I first saw that question I thought is this kid 12? J\K with you timbo, I have a feeling that Florida doesn’t have any coal mines.

P.S. I was born 9 days before you.

He Died the only thing I saw wrong was that he had filter Marks on him. I put him in the bag becase the crabs where walking on him. I took him to the LFS to see what they thought. The only thing we could see is the Filter Grill marks on him.

Just to say the Mandarin is swimming around good he comes out eat then goes back then some times he just surfs over the rock. God Bless that tang.

Back on track...this could be a sign of things to come. Can you please list water parameters and tank history, including when the tang wa added and acclimation? Hopefully it is an isolated incident and will not be a "domino effect"...anyone need an explaination of what I mean? :wink:

Salt 1.025 Ph 8.2 Ammo 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 0 and the tank been running for a month and 2 weeks with 3 chromis. I was told to take the tang for petco to add to my tank add my water every 5 min for 45 mins. I only thing I notice with my tank is the brown algea every day. The skilter Skimmer shooting air into the tank. So I don't run it that much. Some one I know has a brand new Prism Skimmer for 95.00 for 100 gal would that be a better one than the skilter. I have noticed the Purple Algea growing on some of the live rock. Pest Ammias in my tank to. Sorry about the spelling.

Back
Top Bottom