Tang eating Polyps, Linckia star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbaier

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yellow tang, I have seen him in many tanks with corals, I have now caught him nibbling on the Linckia Starfish, and now on of the legs has fallen off,

Now he is nibbling on the star polyps, we had bought shaving brushes b/c we read he likes green plants and he picks them off and now we just have the grass pieces everywhere.

I'm not sure if he is the guilty on with the starfish, but the polyps have retracted on one whole side so i'm assuming they are afraid of the tang?

Is there any solution rather then returning the fish? Is the tang just nibbling algea and not the polyps?

*We got the star friday may 25th, and we didn't read how to not expose him to air and we did for a second switching him from bag to tank, so it could have been my fault too

lbaier said:
Is the tang just nibbling algea and not the polyps?
That has to be it. While my YT does enjoy frozen it's still a herbivore and shouldn't be messing with any Corals/Sea Stars for food. Are you sure it's getting enough to eat? How large is it?

How long have you had your Linckia? The leg falling off isn't a good sign and is typically either due to acclimation, oxygen exposure, or your water parameters are off.

What are your water parameters?

last test was last night, ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ph 8.2 alkalinity 4 m/l and calcium was last week we tested and it was 390 mg/l

We do have a ton of brown algea i think from old lights so we have new ones on the way also doing a huge water change today, the tang is 2-3 inches and we feed them a cube of meiosis shrimp that is kept frozen till fed every day. the 2 cardinals and jewel damsel and tang eat the shrimp, clowns are too small and still eat flakes

If you exposed him to air even for a second it will be enough to kill him. They need to be drip acclimated and by the time he is ready to go in the tank you`ll have mostly tank water in there. You`ll need to put in a glass or bowl full of tank water and drop below the water surface and quickly remove under the water. There can be no air contact. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. A leg falling off a linknia is not a good sign.
As far as the yellow tang make sure he is not eating some algea between the zoo`s. If there is any growing between he will eat that. I have a YT that does the same thing. It looks like he is eating them but really just foraging between them. Sometimes though rarely YT`s do go bad and you`ll have to give him up. I would also try hanging some dried seaweed in the tank for him.

Thanks for all your help, I'm going to stick it out with the tang just monitoring him and pray the star creates a miracle! I really appreciate the quick responses!

No problem. Is that your star on your signature. Here are mine that I`ve had for a while.

Attachments

• 100_0622_213.jpg
    100_0622_213.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 52
yes, thats what the star used to look like. it took a week to start deteriorating. I have seen those stars on your other posts, they are so beautiful!!! I'm so glad there are stars that are reef safe. After i am sure about the yellow tang I will be getting another one, No rush, No air this time!!!

lbaier said:
After i am sure about the yellow tang I will be getting another one, No rush, No air this time!!!

Just watch your LFS and make sure he does no come in contact with air when he bags it for you also.

My LFS could not figure out why their Linckias all died within a week or so. I asked them if the shipping bags had air in it and she said yes. I told her that they can not tolerate being subjected to the air. So, it may have been on it's way out before you got him.

Back
Top Bottom