Tang is not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tang is not eating. He seems to be hiding in the live rock all the time. unless he goes out when im not around, and eats the algea off the live rock. Is this correct?

What kind of Tang. When did you get it? How big is the tank? What are the other inhabitants? What are you feeding? What else is in the tank? What kind of/how much lights?

What kind of tang? Did you try some "Nori" . You can get it at the Asian food store, it is made of compressed seaweed and comes in strips. You can get a clip from you lfs and clip it to the glass. My Yellow loves it. Also try soaking your frozen food in garlic juice, this stimulates their hunger.

I forgot the name of it. Hes dark blue, but changes to gray at times. I got him on friday 4/2/04. the other fish are shrimp, blemmy, and a clown. Im feeding brine shrimp. i have a 65 gallon tank, and i have regular floresents

I forgot the name of it. Hes dark blue, but changes to gray at times. I got him on friday 4/2/04. the other fish are shrimp, blemmy, and a clown. Im feeding brine shrimp. i have a 65 gallon tank, and i have regular floresents

Brine has no nutrition value, its like eating lettuce. Mysis shrimp is much better. Tangs like a lot of variety. I would try the nori and soaking the frozen in garlic if you suspect she is not eating.

You should research all new additions before purchasing them. If you dont know the name how did you research it. A 65 gallon is too small for a tang. I would recommend you take the fish back. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I want to get to the point so you can have a successful tank. That way you won't waste your money and fishes lives. :)

Do some reading. You obviously have no idea how to even feed your fish. A 65 is to small for a tang. Brine shrimp is crap, a fish can starve on belly full of brine. Take it back and do some research.

In my past experience with keeping tangs, I also used to think brine shrimp was a good source of food. But after doing a lot of research, you will also find (as I did) that they will lose their magnificent colors in time if there is no proper diet for them.

Mike

PICKED UP Some mysis shrimp today and sea weed. Ill see how that works out.

Easy guys. My LFS, whom is owned by a close friend, would not steer me wong by selling me this tang.

Good, if he likes brine, you should be able to get him to eat the mysis. Also my Tang loves the seaweed.
Good luck!!

Well a 65 is to small for long term health of the fish. Im sure hes not steering you in the wrong way, but mabye he dosen't know.

My LFS, whom is owned by a close friend, would not steer me wong by selling me this tang.
I am by no means saying your friend is trying to do you wrong. But I would hope that a educated consciencous fish keeper would not house a tang in a tank under 100 gallon. This however is your choice. Hopefully he starts eating for you. Maybe you should ask your friend for help since you are so confident in his ablity. The people here are trying to help you. No one wants to see you lose fish. There are tons of beatiful fish that can be kept in a 60 gallon. :D

Back
Top Bottom