Tang - Strange Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skydve

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

This is going to sound really strange (it does to me anyway). I'll try to describe as best I can. My tank has been set up for a little over 4 months, with fish (yellow tang, small maroon clown, and a cardinalfish) for about 3 months. I have two skunk shrimp that were added about a month ago. I also have about 60lb of live rock and various snails, hermit crabs, etc. It is a 75 gallon tank.

Recently I noticed my tang getting cleaned a lot lately, then last night something really weird happened. I tried to upload a picture pointing to an area on the fish, but I keep getting upload failed. I assume this is the rear end of the tang, but I'm not 100% sure. There's two tiny fins on the bottom of the fish. Right where those meet the body (going toward the back of this fish) is where I'm talking. Anyway the shrimp was cleaning him and then got to that point on the fish and all of a sudden stuff flew everywhere. It reminded me of flake fish food. I think it flew all over just because it was in the path of the powerhead. Anyway, it looked like flake food or small pieces of dried up mud, and then the tang darted off back and forth around the tank shaking.

Later I noticed the clownfish swimming underneath the tang, then he went up to the same point on the tang, and nipped there like he was trying to eat, and the stuff flew out again, and again the tang took off.

One final thing I just noticed is that one of the shrimp has a small cyst looking thing on his side. I did some google searching and it sounds like it could be a "parasitic isopod"? I don't know if these things are related or not, but I never noticed this on him before. It's hard to get a picture of it, but if I can I'll upload it.

Any ideas?? If you need any more details let me know.

Thanks.

Welcome to AA!

Sounds like the tang just took a dump. As weird/gross as it may seem, many fish eat the crap from other fish.

Hard to say what's on the shrimp, but I wouldn't really worry about it. See if it's still there after the shrimp molts.

Welcome to AA!

Sounds like the tang just took a dump. As weird/gross as it may seem, many fish eat the crap from other fish.

Hard to say what's on the shrimp, but I wouldn't really worry about it. See if it's still there after the shrimp molts.

Sounds like it to me also. BTW welcome to AA

OK, it just wasn't anything like I've ever seen before. More like an explosion, and the tang seemed visibly distrought for about 30 seconds right after it happened.

The isopod didn't look like that picture, it looks more like a little bubble on the side of the shrimp. If you look at http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php about half way down the page is a picture of a shrimp with a similar bubble on it. That's where I got the idea that it was a parasitic isopod, although the one on my skunk shrimp is more clear than solid white.

Should I be worried?

Back
Top Bottom