Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2005, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tang suddenly not eating...looks awful

So, I've had a yellow tang for about 3 weeks.

He's looked pretty healthy and has acted relatively normal. Not sure if hiding when lights are out is normal, but he does.

Today, he looks very, very skinny - pale and he is refusing food. He has never touched the flake food that my lfs gave me to feed to him. So, I've been feeding purple Sea Veggies daily and he devours it. I've also been trying a few different flake foods, as I said. None have worked. For now, the only thing he touches is frozen brine. I know its not the best thing, but he has been eating the sea veggies everyday and goes NUTS for the brine.

Water params are PH= 8.2, NO2= 0, Ammo= 0, NO3= 10 (this is my biweek for water change which will occur Friday - mixing now) sg= 1.023. The sg has fallen from 1.024 in about a week though. We just installed central air so the temp has stayed between 78 - 80. No big swings. No white spots. Has not been flashing. Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that he's not getting enough nutrition from the brine and the sea veggies but he's turned his nose up at everything else I've offered. Should I try something else? Would he go for something from my grocery store, you think?

- Skins

Old 06-30-2005, 03:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How are his fins? I had one awhile back and has symptoms like that, but eventually he lost his fins.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fins look fine.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank? Other livestock? Any new additions? You can try using a glarlic product like GarlicGuard to stimulate appatite. Have you tried nori?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank is 110 gallons - about 150-160lbs of live rock. Tankmates are 2 clows, a yellow watchman goby, and several crabs, shrimp, urchin hitchhikers. I have not tried nori.

Tang was the last to be introduced. Over 3 weeks ago (taking it slow).

I actually just remembered -- I removed an isopod months ago, when I first got my rock. Haven't seen another since. My other fish seem to be fine, but I can not see my tang at night. He hides behind a rock and doesn't come out until lights on. So, it would be very hard to see a parasite on him. I wonder if an isopod may be the cause for his skinny body. But, why would it leave my other fish alone? Anyone think it could be a possiblity?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's possibly a diet problem. Try adding some nori or dried seaweed sheets. Tangs need to graze constantly and should always have something available.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am feeding the dried seaweed sheets. Purple sea veggies to a clip every day. He seems to eat the whole sheet everyday - which is why I'm baffled.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, ok. When you said you didn't feed nori, that would be the same as your seaweed sheets. Is it possible for you to post a picture? I don't know alot about internal parasites but perhaps a pic would help someone with more knowledge on that, be able to help you.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry - my first tang. Didn't realize 'nori' was the same thing. I've always been a predator kind of guy.

I'll make sure to post a pic tonight. I also bought a different kind of veggie flakes out of desperation and will try that tonight.

Thanks everyone for reading.

Tags
eat, eating, not eating, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com