Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
steve-s

Fungal issues in marine aquaria are highly unlikely. What looks like a fugal problem is almost always bacterial. It can be treated with the use of a gram negative antibiotic like Maracyn II but if lympho (which I suspect), it will have no affect. As far as your other fish contracting it, not that likely either unless water quality/living conditions are sub standard.

I would do a few water changes on the main just to be sure and bolster feedings with a good [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] vitamin.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=45

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=43

Make sure that yellow tang gets lots of veggies and foods soaked in selcon for the next while. Frozen tangs preparations are a great addition to the diet. I highly recommend Ocean Nutrition. Also feed garlic at every feeding for the first while. Pay special attention to the feces (grosse I know) for stringyness or faded/white color. It should be relatively the same coming out as it is going in. Need to rule out the possibility of an internal worm or parasite.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-20-2005, 11:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the feedback steve-s. I'll write back to provide progress and actions taken based on this feedback.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE: Yellow tang in the qt is getting darker in color - seems like from the inside it is dark. It is not swimming around as much as it was. My blue tang seems fine, also in the qt. I hope the blue doesn't catch what the yellow has.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

The skin on the yellow tang is now turning brown! I'm going to do another qt water change today. My blue tang is in the qt w/ the other tang and I'm concerned now about whatever the yellow has spreading. They are both seemingly eating in the qt, I put some nori in the tank for them to munch on..however I can tell they are both stressed, they are hiding in a big PVC tube that I put in the qt.

What does brown skin on a tang imply? I am not sure what meds I should use at this point, if any.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #15
steve-s

Two things to check here. The dark color can be an indication of three possible probelms. Low pH if streaky, an internal worm if small dark patches or Vibrio if large blotches.

Please test the pH/alk of the water and post back with anything remarkable that fits the vague descriptions I provided. Given the overall appearance of the yellow tang I would not be surpised if both worm and Vibrio.

Can you describe the feces at all? I would also post an updated pic if possible.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-26-2005, 11:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

pH is 8.2...I don't have a way at the time to test alk, unfortunately, and I don't have my camera now... As far as feces, I haven't been able to specifically identify that in the qt.

I'm going to try to get my camera to post an updated pic.

Good news is I guess that the tang is still alive, and eating.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycat
As far as feces, I haven't been able to specifically identify that in the qt.
I meant as it was "exiting" the tang.

What you are trying to identify is the color and consistancey. Stringy, long pieces, liquid, white/pale or dark in color.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just wanted to post a quick update on the Tang (yellow) - he seems 100% fine. I did treat with Marcyn II for the 5 day treatment, and the fish has been in qt since 11/20. He is eating well, has his coloration all back, and seems to be swimming just fine.

So I don't know if this will benefit anyone else on the forum, but in my case it could be that no treatment, and no qt, and just time may have resolved the issue, as Steve-s suggests maybe a lympho or bacterial.

I'm just glad the yellow tang made it through..oh btw the white spot on the blue tang disappeared soon after putting him in the qt, and she is also fine.

Tags
ich, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com