Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tang w/Ich, QT w/LR

OK so yes I know better!! I'm sure many threads start like this...I actually HAVE a QT tank but did not use it one time - last time I don't use it - when introducing a new Yellow Tang.

The Tang has two white dots on one pectoral fin. They are very pronounced when my blue T5s are on, look sort of like debris (with whitish color) when my sun T5 lamps are on. So I'm thinking don't take a chance get the fish out it may be ich (I have never seen ich before). So first does that sound like ich? Does ich grow on fin tips only? If so I'll search for recommended medication.

So I setup my quarantine tank again, using water from my tank to fill it up initially. I have never done this b4 but can I put lr from my fuge in my qt to help boost beneficial bacteria for the QT, even if I'm going to medicate the tank? I would rinse the lr out well before putting back in the fuge.

Good idea or bad?

Also the tang has been in the display tank with my 5 other fish for 3 days... do I need to qt all other fish?

Thanks[/b]

Old 11-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
steve-s

If you choose hyposalinity as a treatment, the rock can eventually be re used but I would allow it to air dry a few weeks just to be safe. If any meds are used at all, it's junk after that. Keep in mind that anything in/on the rock is toast no matter what treatment is chosen. More commonly the only thing to survive would be the bacteria. If the rock is heavily infused with life, you can also experience harder to control water quality from the die off, in the long run, not the best of options.

As to the problem with the fish, how long have the spots been visible and how long have you had the fish? C. irritans will affect just about every nook and cranny of the fishs' outer surface. Few parasites stick mainly to the finnage.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
If you choose hyposalinity as a treatment, the rock can eventually be re used but I would allow it to air dry a few weeks just to be safe. If any meds are used at all, it's junk after that. Keep in mind that anything in/on the rock is toast no matter what treatment is chosen. More commonly the only thing to survive would be the bacteria. If the rock is heavily infused with life, you can also experience harder to control water quality from the die off, in the long run, not the best of options.

As to the problem with the fish, how long have the spots been visible and how long have you had the fish? C. irritans will affect just about every nook and cranny of the fishs' outer surface. Few parasites stick mainly to the finnage.

Cheers
Steve
Makes sense, thanks for the quick reply.

The spots have been visible since I got the fish a few days ago. However they seem only very visible when the blue light is on. No spots on the skin anywhere. Like I said under the non-blue lights it sort of just looks like debris on the tip of the fin, but it is still a bit whitish (blue just brings it out).

Maybe it is not ich? I have been unable to locate pictures of ich on yellow tangs fins, but will continue searching.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
steve-s

Could easily be C. irritans. It can often be easier to see first thing in the AM and late at night, lighting definately being a factor. With tangs, you also need to be wary of the possibility of velvet. If the spots are a larger (sugar) size that will not be the case. Velvet is rarely visible unless the light hits it just right. Looks like a sheen of gold with black specs, especially hard to see on a yellow tang.

How's the breathing, color, appetite and so on?

Here is a pic of what C. irritans would look like.

Cheers
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _mg_9935.jpg (60.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-18-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Interesting..the dots are actually much larger than that. I'll try to get a picture. The tang doesn't scratch itself on anything, seems to be breathing just fine, and eating just fine - eating flake food and pellets, and continuously munching on algae from the rock. The dots are just on the tip of the fin, and they are I guess 1/2 the size of a rice grain? Maybe that is a good way of putting it.

I tried to catch it to put it in a qt that I setup but I had a very difficult time of it, and gave up. It will be a non-trivial task to catch this fish without taking out most if not all of my rock which is going to be a major pain. I was nervous about really causing stress in the fish.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
steve-s

Try to get the pic if you can, could be either a lympho problem or bacterial. C. irritans will not usually be that large unless secondary infections are being caused at the contact point giving the appearance it's larger than it is.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK I managed to get some pictures, not perfect but I hope they help.

There are no visible white spots on her body, except for the normal distinctive mark near the base of the tail on both sides. Only thing I'm seeing is these small (maybe 1/4 size of a rice grain?) on the tip of the fin.

Side view:

Side below view:

Side pectoral fin view (see "clumps" on tip of fin).
Old 11-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE: Now my blue powder tang has two white spots on its fins - one on the dorsal and one on the pelvic. They are larger than a grain of sand - about the size of 1/2 of a rice grain. But tehy are very flat, whereas the spots on the tang look like they are larger (not flat).

I have put both of these fish in a 10g qt. I have 3 chromis and a clown still in the display, not sure if I should put them in the qt as well. I am not sure if this is ich I'm dealing with.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
steve-s

Please post all water quality numbers. Definately Lympho or bacterial (right pectoral), I leaning towards the former.

I am assuming the dots on the tangs forefront are from the glass, not the fish itself? If it is on the tang, I would suspect a copepod or worm.

I am also wondering how long you've had this tang? I see the nori in the pic but I am kinda dismayed by the sunken belly. Have you ever noticed pale/white or stringy feces? The tang is seriously under weight.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-20-2005, 07:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes the dots are on the glass, not the tang. I just got the tang about a 4 days ago. Again I can kick myselt for not qt'ing esp. since I already have a 10g at all times for qt...

I also see the sunken belly of the tang and thought it was skinny - it eats still like the dickens, but it doesn't fill up. Compared to our blue tang which is very plump!

Water params S: 1.022, Nitrates/Nitrites/Ammonia: 0, pH: 8.2.

I spoke to the lfs that sold me the tang today, he thought it sounded like a fungal issue, and said to just qt the fish and it should clear up by itself in 2-4 weeks (keeping daily water changes and healthy feeding).

I will do some searches for lympho, bacterial infections... if bacterial what medications should I put in the qt? And do I need to worry about thsi spreading to my 3 chromis and 1 clownfish? Both tangs are not in qt.

Thanks

Tags
ich, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com