Tang with HLLE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMD26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to nurse a yellow tang back to health that I rescued from a well intentioned but uninformed friend. He's definately got HLLE which I'm pretty sure is from a poor diet. The guy that owned him only ever fed him frozen brine and I don't think he ever gave him veggies. My question is if I get him on a better diet with some vitamin soaked food and regular access to veggies is it possible to reverse the damage already caused or will he be permanently scarred? I read somewhere a while back that vitamin C can help with HLLE, does anyone know the truth of that?

Thanks =)

He may carry some scarring, but you can get it back to health. I have read about vitamin C as well, I cannot say from experience, but I do know you need to be careful using it. I would try the vitamin soaked food and nori on a clip. Keep the vegetable matter in front of it at all times until it recovers.

I `ve also heard of Vitamin c but only from green vegatable matter. MRS Hara mentioned Nori which is good I fed mine some grape Calerpa which is High in Vit. C. I also fed mine some small clips of Broccli which are high in Vit . C. All these will bring him back to good health. I have had experience with this disease and these are what I fed mine mostly the Grape calerpa.

Thanks for the advice. I hope I can get him back to good health. They're such pretty fish.

Wanted to update...

Sad to say but I lost the fight. She died last night. =(
Ultimately I think it was probably the stress of the whole ordeal that killed her. When I got her she was already in pretty bad shape and the move and everything probably added insult to injury and ended up being more than she could handle. It's a shame these fish are so often labled as "good for beginners" when they really aren't. Their diet is relatively specialized even though it can be easily managed. The person that I rescued her from had the best of intentions at heart he was just ignorant to the needs of the fish.

I`m sorry about your loss but I have to disagree about your assesement about the yellow tang. They are a good fish for starters and a pretty hardy fish at that. You just so happened to get yours at a bad time when he was beyond repair. They are not too hard to raise. Mine eats whatever the rest of the tank eats plus a little bit of calerpa or vegatable matter. Dont give up on the yellow tang because of one bad experience that you could not control. Again I`m sorry and have a good day.

I haven't given up on the yellow tang. My issue comes with them being labled a beginners fish by LFS and not telling the beginners about proper husbandry. In a new tank there might not be enough residual greenery for them to feed on and it is neccessary to suplement them with veggies. The person that i rescued this fish from was never educated by those that sold it to him. He thought it was an "easy" fish and I don't neccessarily think they are.

Back
Top Bottom