Tang with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipper0512

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New fish added Saturday. Did not qt.

Tank only month old.

Ph 8.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Sg .024

Ac110 filter. 2 power heads 1100 gph each, and a Bh2000 protein skimmer

80 lbs sand 80 lbs rock

2 chromis 2 clowns 1 damsel 1 go by 2 snails 3 hermits

So question pull the fish and treat him, or pull the rock and treat tank.

Any thought comments or suggestion appreciated

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If u got no corals. I will treat it
in the tank.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never is it a good idea to treat the display. Your sand houses bacteria and will hold any copper based meds just like the rock will. I would either just let it play itself out, or remove ALL fish and treat them all and leave the tank fallow.

Mr x is right. I wont use any copper base, and they usually work very slow to ni success. Let it play out.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I let it run its corse in the dt what are the chance of success and no reoccurring out breaks. If it were u. What would u do.

If I let it run its corse in the dt what are the chance of success and no reoccurring out breaks. If it were u. What would u do.

Only way to guarantee the complete elimination is to pull the fish and treat them in a hospital tank, and leave the DT fallow for 10-12 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I figured you would say that. What are the chances of my hippo surviving. She's still eating and doesn't look to stressed. Should I try the hospital tank with copper? But my tank is still infected now correct? This am was the first I saw spots. Yesterday was more blemishes than spots.

Still not much info on the system. With 80 lbs of rock and sand this is an 80 gallon system? Sounds like territorial stress and bullying causing disease in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is a 90 gallon tank. 80 lbs of sand and 80 lbs of rock. Here are two pictures. The pic of her was yesterday. This am is when I noticed the spots. She found a nice hidding spot where she can relax and appears to be buddy buddy with my damsel. I have not seen much billing. I have kept light off most of the time.

Attachments

• 1427125602522.jpg
    1427125602522.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 1427125627327.jpg
    1427125627327.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 72

The immune systems of fish are compromised when they are stressed. when the immune system is weakened, like in this case, parasites like these can take off.
As far as the chances of success, that's impossible to answer. I have seen fish completely recover from an Ich outbreak with no treatment whatsoever, and I've seen fish die from it.
If you are asking me what I would do, it would be to provide the most stress free environment I could and see what happens. I know this is not a popular choice, and even if it pulls through, it's no guarantee that Ich will not come back when something else happens, like perhaps a heater or ATO malfunction.
As stated, the only way to be sure is to remove all fish and treat them with hyposalinity or copper in the QT.

What can I put in a hospital tank for shelter other than pvc when dosing with copper? Blue solo cup. I wanted to get her in the tank but didn't think about shelter.

Back
Top Bottom