Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #11
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Just to reinforce what has already been said, do research the fishyou want to add to the tank and remember that tangs can grow to about 12" in the aquarium. Always buy fish based on what their adult size will be, not what their size is when you buy them

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

my store keeps them in 45 galon tanks

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Philly...you are comparing apple to oranges. The LFS keeps all of their fish in tanks that are too small. They are not planning on spending the rest of their lives in that tank. Consider it a holding holding tank. When the consumer buys the fish it is expected they will give it a proper home. Just because your LFS keep 10 tangs in a small tank does not mean you should.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:10 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
remember that tangs can grow to about 12" in the aquarium
Yes hippos and yellows (among others) do get huge in the wild. However 6" is about what you see in captivity, though they still need at least a 4ft tank long term IMO. Opinions will vary, but with a 45g IMO you could get 1 young yellow or hippo if you start with a very young (2") specimen and no other large or aggressive fish, and basically let the tang have the run of the tank. Even then, an upgrade will be needed just year or two away as these fish like lots of swimming room, these guys get to around 6" in captivity. And IMO they should not be put in a just cycled tank, rather a mature, stable one. A 75g + is ideal for long term. These are coming down in price now too, my lfs carries 75g with oak stand and hood for $330. Or $99 for the tank.

I actually have a juvenile hippo in my 45g. He is very small, just under 2"; he and a small percula have the run of the tank. Is this ideal? No, but it is IMO ok for the short term since I have a plan to get at least a 5' tank within the next 18 months or so. The woman who runs one of my lfs was in the same situation, she at home started with a really small hippo in a 3ft tank and it was several years before he was 3" or so then she moved him to a 55g. So I think there are many factors that go into "can I get a tang?", such as size of system, age and stability of system, number and size (and type) of other fishes, and size and type of tang to be purchased. And finally, wether you plan to upgrade to a larger system as the fish grows.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with most of above. There is a very good reason I purchased a large tank. It was so I could keep fish like this. You may be OK for awhile with this fish in a smaller tank, but what are your long term goals? Tangs need swimming room. Lets face it, we took them out of an endless ocean and put them in out little cubes. If you would like any chance of them growing and thriving in your system, then a larger tank will be needed for long term sucess. it comes down to choice. Are they pets, or something just "pretty" to look at for a time? Its your decision.
Not trying to be harsh, just trying to illustrate the impact on the creatures you will bring into your home.
Food for thought.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:53 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
I have to second srgetz and quarryshark here. I'm putting together a 75gal tank while I'm in college!!!!! Just so that I can get a powder blue tang. I plan on getting a very small one, hopefully smaller than 2". However, if it get's over 6" I will find a better home for it. I have 2 semesters left in college, and one of my major goals is a ten foot tank after I graduate, so it should work out. But I will NOT keep this beautiful fish in my tank if it gets to big for it.

Just my 2 cents, Joshua...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:31 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
one of my major goals is a ten foot tank after I graduate
I think you may need the job first! If you accomplish that, you are doing well! Thats like a dream tank to most of us middle class aquarists! I guess it's good to shoot for the stars anyway!
Old 09-03-2004, 06:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have a 50 g tank which is 4 ft long and i would really like a tang. not only for looks but for algae control. any ideas what i should go for? i realize that my 50 g is on the small side of things but i'd like to give it a try. is the yellow tank my only option?
1 regal tang
1 pink spotted goby
40 pds lr
cleaners: 2 cleaner schrimp, 7 blue hermitts
7 scarlett hermitts,2 american star snails
1 brittle serpent star,
20-25 snails
8965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
i have a 50 g tank which is 4 ft long and i would really like a tang. not only for looks but for algae control. any ideas what i should go for? i realize that my 50 g is on the small side of things but i'd like to give it a try. is the yellow tank my only option?
As previously stated, they get to around 6+ inches and are a very active swimming fish and should be put in a 75g ideally. But a yellow or hippo (and possibly a few others) can be put in a 4' tank for quite a while only if introduced very small ~ 2in, IMO. There are other considerations, please read all messages in this post, the answers are right there, you have to scroll down and click previous (page)
Old 09-05-2004, 11:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

my bad

i didnt mean it like that i meant that i was surprised that your stores only keep them in 10 gal. when mine keep them in 45 gal.

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com