Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Seems to me that if you have ich in the tank, that you would want to treat the whole tank and not just an individual fish. Otherwise you'll never get rid of the ich. It will just keep re-infecting the fish because the whole tank has it. It's been about three days since I brought the SG down to 1.009 and I'm starting to see a difference. A lot of the black spots are going away and no more scratching on the rockwork. The fish seem perfectly happy at the low salinity. pH and NH3 still holding steady. Only five more weeks to go!!

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I remember correctly you removed crabs etc to a separate tank and then treated the main with hypo? Hypo is effective if done for 4 weeks after the last "white spots" are seen. Leaving the tank fallow for 8 weeks will also kill ich since it does not have a host to complete it's life cycle. This is just info to show you can effectively remove ich from your main without having to treat it. As long as the fish are moved to QT and hypo etc is performed correctly.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is true Brenden. But my point was that if you just take a fish out of the main, treat him for a few minutes with a freshwater dip, and then put him right back in the main, you'll never get rid of the disease because there will always a host fish available to re-infect. You need to treat the whole tank, whether that is letting it lie fallow or doing a hypo treatment.
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 02-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I misunderstood. You are correct.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just curious. If these low salinity conditions are so great for fish (i.e. helps osmoregulation, helps healing, eases stress, cuts down on diseases), why don't we just keep our tanks in a constant state of hyposalinity? Maybe a little higher at 16 ppt or so? Just wondering. Does it cause damage over the long term?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
A lot of lfs & shippers keep their sg levels at 1.019 - 1.022 to help keep ick at bay. Fish receive higher levels of oxygen when they breathe at lower sg levels and if keeping FO then you certainly could keep it lower but I wouldn’t go below 1.020 for long term. I've read of studies that have demonstrated that fishes have suffered damage to their internal organs as a result of long-term exposure to an unnaturally low specific gravity.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

A lot of LFS do keep their salinity at 1.019-1.022. It helps to relieve stress and also stimulate appetite but it is not low enough to do anything to ich.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very Sad.....I finally lost my first fish during this whole process. My Royal Gramma. That was one of my favorites too. Was the very first fish I had put in the tank over two years ago. I didn't see any signs of disease on him. Appeared healthy a couple of days ago, was out eating, nice and fat, good color. Even in death had great brilliant colors. I've been checking water quality parameters daily since I started the Hypo treatment. Everything checks out. I'm going on Day 12 now of the treatment. Cryptocarion appears to be gone, but I'm going to stick it out until the full four weeks is up. Hope this death is not a result of the treatment. Now I'm going to be worried and watching even closer for any signs of distress.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Sorry for your loss Depending on the age when you got him it could have just been his time. Most SW fish live 4+ years and some 30+.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I'm on day 21 of the Hypo treatment now and things are going well. Been able to keep the SG at 1.010 pretty easily and the pH has been stable at 8.1. Have not had to add any buffer. The last of the spots on the fish disappeared about day 4, so that would be a total of 17 days treatment since spots disappeared. I plan on going 30 days since the last spots disappeared. Found a hermit crab still alive in there yesterday! That was a shock, thought he would be dead a long time ago. Anyway, just an update on things.

Tags
disease, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com