Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tangs Diseased

Well, sure enough. I do the responsible thing by going through quarantine with my new blue tang, everything goes great, eats right away, no sign of disease and one week after putting him into the main tank, a disease breaks out. Now all of my tangs (blue, yellow, and naso) have tiny black spots. Smaller than a pinhead. The fish are still all eating great and active and not scratching. My water parameters look good (NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 10, pH 8.2, temp 81). What is it and how do I treat it??

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 PM   #2

Sorry to hear that.

The only thing I know is garlic extract. My purple tank had some spots and I soaked his food in the extract and it seemed to clear it up.

Wish I had more info for you.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like black ich. How long did you QT? Hypo IMO is the best and safest treatment for ich. Just be sure you know what it is before you treat for anything.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That looks exactly like it! Was in QT for about 3 weeks. What is hypo? Is Black Ich fatal?
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 01-26-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Is Black Ich fatal?
Is not if treated correctly.
Quote:
What is hypo?
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
If you have any inverts, corals etc DO NOT hypo your main.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Never done this before, so kind of nervous about doing it on my main tank. Will the hypo conditions not kill my bacteria bed? I've got a fish only tank so, I pulled out all of my hermits and snails this morning and will start the hypo tonight. Please reassure me!!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Pull out part of your live rock as well. The hypo will kill off any LR left in the main, so you will need to restart your biological filter once your treatment is finished. By removing some of your LR, you can later reseed your main.
Just be sure to keep it out of the main system for at least 8 weeks.
Also be ready to do water changes for your main. The hypo will kill of much of the bacteria and it takes time for your tank to adjust.
I did this as a final straw with an ich battle and it worked great!!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, Quarry. After doing a little more research I've seen that the bacteria should be alright as long as I give them time to adjust to the salinity. Also heard that hermit crabs and hard shelled snails should be alright at those salinities. Are both of these things correct?
Old 01-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think the crabs and the snails can handle a good hypo.....remember, if you have any critters on your live rock, it will kill those also, so just be sure you want to do this on your main......

I did hypo on my main and I have regretted it ever since because it killed all kinds of things that I had hiding in my live rock that I didn't know about. It got rid of the ich, though, so I guess it's a trade-off, unless you have a big enough QT tank to house all of your fish.

good luck!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crabs and snails will not tolerate hypo. I would really think again about doing hypo in the main. If you do not have a refractometer I would encourage you to get one for hypo. Keep in mind that anything that is not in the tank that you hypo needs to remain fallow for 7-8 weeks, preferably 8. Salinity can be dropped to correct levels in 72 hours however in needs to be increased back to standard much slower (around a week)

Tags
disease, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com