Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by pugpops
the tank i have now is a 120 gal reef tank. i would have to try for a couple hours to catch the tangs but wouldnt chasing them around stress them out even more? and as i said before, i do not have a QT set up anywhere, and i dont think i really understand the "rubbermaid tote" idea (sorry)... so am i supposed to fill the rubbermaid tote with the saltwater from my tank and put the fish in there for a while? i wouldnt have a filter or anything for it! are you telling me i have to buy more stuff? D:
Unfortunately yes you will need to but more stuff. This is part of the hobby. If fish are not properly quarantined before adding to the tank then you risk spreading ich along with other parasites and disease. The 2 ways of curing ich hypo and copper are not reef safe, meaning they cannot be used in a tank with inverts, coral, live rock or live sand. This is why you need to move the fish to an empty for quarantine.

And as stated above garlic has never been proven as an immune booster and really its effect as an appetite booster is also questionable and nor real repeatable studies have been done to prove garlic usefulness. Its one of those fads that caught on faster than the science.

Its even been reported garlic use can result in liver damage over significant periods. This however is just reported, not confirmed, as with everything else garlic related.

29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Go get yourself a cheap tank 20 or 29 gal. and an inexpensive hang on back filter. Take some of your filter media from your main tank to seed the qt tank. If you don't have much experience or a refractometer I wouldn't try to do hypo. Get some seachems cupramine which is a copper med. it is not as harsh on fish as other forms of copper. Follow the directions and the fish will be fine.

tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
You will need this stuff eventually or you'll have this problem all the time.
tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've used a Rubbermaid tub to hospitalize fish before. Basically instead of buying a tank, I bought that and used a cheap filter on it and treated for the ich. Unfortunately, if you have other fish in the tank, they most likely will get it to as they've been exposed now. To rid yourself of ich for good you have to get all your fish out of your tank and let the parasites life cycle run its course. Until that happens, you will probably always have ich present in your tank.

nikki_kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote

ich, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com