Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
That is not true at all. Nitrite is not very toxic at all to saltwater fish and inverts.

Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"The marine aquarium hobby is replete with commentary about nitrite, some of which is, unfortunately, incorrect or misleading. Its toxicity in marine systems is far lower than in freshwater systems. Nevertheless, many aquarists incorrectly extrapolate this toxicity to reef aquariums and suggest that any measurable amount of nitrite is a concern.
In reality, nitrite probably is not toxic enough to warrant measuring in most marine systems."
Im sure this catches a lot of us by surprise as it does me. It is in stark contrast with what I have been told on this site as well. Also would have been nice to know back when I was unsure if my tank was safe due to the odd nitrite reading I was seeing.

Still though, you have to admit that ANY nitrite reading suggests a problem with the stability of the system in a cycled tank, no?

Matt

Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

And dont forget Doug`s other suggestion about carbon.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Still though, you have to admit that ANY nitrite reading suggests a problem with the stability of the system in a cycled tank, no?
Not necessarily. Running a UV can break nitrates down into nitrites, but for the most part if you see nitrites there is probably an ammonia issue that needs to be dealt with.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
...but for the most part if you see nitrites there is probably an ammonia issue that needs to be dealt with.
That would be my main concern also. Nitrites are a bad thing because they point to something wrong with your nitrogen cycle - either loss of bacteria, sudden overcrowding, overfeeding, etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I suppose Nitrite's reduction in toxicity makes sense as Cl- is used to neutralize it in FW.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
I suppose Nitrite's reduction in toxicity makes sense as Cl- is used to neutralize it in FW.
Close, its NaCl... Thats kinda what I was thinking as well... Makes alot of sense, I had also wondered if nitrite was as big of a deal in SW as it is in FW in terms of being harmful to the fish

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish excrete sodium by cells in there gills that specialize in cloride removal. These ions are plentiful in the ocean and are near statuation levels. Because of this Saltwater fishes systems remove the clorides to stabilize their systems of the salt ions that would surely kill them. By doing this they have little or no methods of removing nitrites and nitrites pass through their systems before nitrites can harm them. Something like a slow poison that takes so long to do any damage that they are excruted as waste before they can do any harm.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All this new talk about harmlessness of nitrites has me wondering why we cycle our tanks for so long? For me, the nitrite spike is always the longest one. If nitrites pose little threat, why not call it done when ammonia goes to zero?

I guess the next questions should be, how high do nitrites need to be to be dangerous?

Matt
Old 08-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #19
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
None of this is new. The article I linked to is over 5 yrs old. I also have a book by Albert J. Thiel (who I met about 20 yrs ago and he signed the book) and the same info is in there.
Quote:
how high do nitrites need to be to be dangerous
Read the article.
"exposed tank-raised clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) to nitrite concentrations ranging from 0 to 330 ppm in artificial seawater. Two of five fish died after a few days at 330 ppm"
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
None of this is new. The article I linked to is over 5 yrs old. I also have a book by Albert J. Thiel (who I met about 20 yrs ago and he signed the book) and the same info is in there.

Read the article.
"exposed tank-raised clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) to nitrite concentrations ranging from 0 to 330 ppm in artificial seawater. Two of five fish died after a few days at 330 ppm"
Maybe not new, but I am new to salt water. (Started a little over a year ago).

This is the first I have heard of this. 330ppm is much more than any tank should develop on its own, so might it be safe to assume that a tank is ready for a fish once the ammonia spike has passed?

Im now left wondering why the nitrite spike is even addressed during the cycle? Seems ammonia is now the only thing to worry about.

Matt

Tags
anemone, cloud, cloudy, clown, dying, ick, saltwater, sick, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com