Originally Posted by mrg02d
Nitrites at 1.0ppm is a VERY bad thing! Much more so than some ammonia. Re test your nitrites and make sure thats not an error.
If you DO have nitrites present, then do PWC
until its zero. Try to find a dead body that could be rotting and causing ammonia and nitrites.
Missing any fish?
That is not true at all. Nitrite is not very toxic at all to saltwater fish and inverts.
Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"The marine aquarium hobby is replete with commentary about nitrite, some of which is, unfortunately, incorrect or misleading. Its toxicity in marine systems is far lower than in freshwater systems. Nevertheless, many aquarists incorrectly extrapolate this toxicity to reef aquariums and suggest that any measurable amount of nitrite is a concern.
In reality, nitrite probably is not toxic enough to warrant measuring in most marine systems."