Tank Crash- Marine Velvet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have lost every fish that was in my 10g tank waiting to go into the 60g. :-(

First the mandarin, who I was thinking died of stress from the move. But now not so sure. Then came the clown fish, one died and the other jumped out of the tank about an hour later. The clown that died in the tank had a coating on him, and his scales seemed to be peeling. Then came the yellow clown goby, same peeling of the scales. And finally the green clown goby yesterday, same symptoms. Not sure if brooklynella affects fish other than clowns so maybe that was it? or was it marine velvet?
Each fish died about a day apart, except for the clowns. No fish was new in any way, the newest fish were the perc clowns who I had for maybe 6 months, maybe more. So how could I have introduced an illness?

Anyone who can help with this it would be most appreciated! I am at a loss right now and not sure how to proceed. I still have a single live rock , a bunch of hermits and snails and a tank full of coral. I'm clearly not going to put more fish in this tank but is it safe to move whats left to the 60g when I set it up?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you reading my posts!

Carey, I don't have any experience with Marine Velvet so can't help there, but just wanted to say sorry you lost all of these fish. That must be devastating.

Sorry to hear this?. I had velvet wipe out my tank and everything but the inverts died in a matter of days. My clowns had some type of coating all over them that was hanging off of them... But if you didn't add anything new to your system where would it come from???

I know, that question has me baffled. It would have shown itself sooner, not like ich which can sit dormant for who knows how long.

I took the live rock that was in the tank and put it outside. Moved all the corals over to another tank and wont be using this tank for awhile. Hoping its not still lingering on the corals, but no one seems to know

See, I had very minimal equipment running. A brand new hang on back filter, a heater and fresh eggcrate on the bottom of the tank. And just one piece of live rock that had been sitting in a garbage can of water for the last 2 months. Just doesnt seem any way for anything to get into the system. :-(

I can only think its velvet, maybe its something else?

this is a bit of a stretch, but i read somewhere that velvet can sometimes (very...very rarely), be introduced to your system through frozen foods...just a thought :???:

nope I think this will be one of those things that you never can pin it on something for sure. It does happen in saltwater so I just need to keep up with my tanks and hope for the best.

Well I hope you never have to go through it again.. I love love loooove your tanks! ?

Back
Top Bottom