Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Man that is horrible news Rev. That is very weird how it came on so fast. Kind of scary to think that could happen.

When you are ready for more corals, let me know I will donate what ever I have to give.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:42 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus
My sincerest condolences rev.

A lot of corals are troopers. if things aren't toxic, they'll close up and wait for better conditions. Don't lose faith, keep your chin up and don't faulter.

Phyl's comment about a cuke got me to thinking. even without a cuke, we all know many corals can go postal if they come in contact with each other. Can you list for us all the corals you have? Maybe someone here will recognize one of them as agressive.

If you want to work on the aggressive theory, do a few more water changes as suggested by someone else above. I would also crank up a protien skimmer and drop in a fresh bag of GAC. This are all things that "won't hurt" even if it's not a toxicity issue.

Don't worry Rev, you've got us all behind you, as always!

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
this really hurts. Revhtree, there is nothng you can do to save this from happening, so don't blame yourself too much. We can help you to bring back the tank again. At least your fish survived.

My thinking is that it is something in the air. Did someone spray something around the tanks? Do you draw air from outside?
180g In Wall starboard reef, 100g Sump, 2 Tunze 6100, BL70 Return Pump, MR-2 Skimmer, 80lbs LR.
Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow! You guys are awesome. You really dont know what a few words written on a forum can really touch someones heart. I am thankful for all of you.

Well update. The cloudiness is about gone. I have yet to have an ammonia or Nitrite spike. I had no cukes in there, and I really believe tht something killed the xenia and it started a chain reaction. The pictures do not show all the xenia that was in there.

I put a few corals that were so, so in the prop tank to see if they would make it. The reason I did this is that my pride and joy are my zoa colonies and I could not remove them. I didnt want anything else fouling up the water. Since I have removed all the xenia, the tank water does not smell, the house does not smell, and everything seems to be looking better.

Last night the feeder tent were out on both sets of Candy Corals, so they are ok I think. The clam is good, all fish are fine. Star fish are good. I even seen a baby serpant today for the first time about the size of a small apple. The toadstool is going to make it I think, the bubble coral has alot of its bubbles out, they are smaller,but there out. The zoa colonies are still shut tight, but everyones in a while I see some color from some poylps. I am hoping they make it. Since most of my verts and inverts lived, that really makes acompeling argument that this did have to do with some type of coral melt down. I lost all my cleaner shrimp except for one.

The tank still looks very dull, but I am hoping for the best. I am feeling a whole lot better today. I am going to use this opportunity to make my coral stocking list better in order to house more sps. I lost a Hairy Millipora, Green Slimer, and a Baby Blue tipped acro that I had just gotten that day. I tried to give them away, but it was too late.

I really feel I had a xenia crash. I really appreciate all your support, I will keep you all up to date as I rebuild......
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:49 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus
David...this news is far better than I expected. I was hoping for the best and it seems that you will be able to recover.
Jchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would bet that you had alot of tank warfare going on....sps, lps, shrooms and zoas...and it finally got to your xenia maybe and that's what caused the crash. We all love the garden-coral look but it's just a matter of time before it goes postal on us.

I speak from sad experience.

Keep your chin up and maybe rethink the stocking plan is my advice.
demodiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like things might be looking up for you, and I hope everything works out.
AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:57 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic
that sucks dude. I hope you don't get frustrated and leave the hobby.
75g reef
zenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If we all had to guess, what would be the cause? Xenia death? I'm curious and I'm sure rev is as well.

Sorry, rev. Hang in there.
55 gallon
dual 175 MH w/ dual 32W PC Actinics
75# LR
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:27 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
I've heard bad reviews about Xenia's causing big chain reaction meltdowns. When i decide to go reef.. many years away, I'll be sticking away from them.

Good luck with getting everything back up and running, it sounds like your well on your way, and as everyone has said, it will be bigger and better once its up and running again!

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com