Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What did you do to get yours under control? I am going to get tests and check in about (2) hours.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

We are using a buffer called Seachem, and it slowly increases your pH. We also opened our sump up so that more air could circulate and get some of the CO2 out. Do you have a skimmer? A skimmer can also help oxygenate the water, and it can help keep your pH right (although it didn't help us, since we had it already before the pH drop).
Let us know how things go, if it's pH, at least it is a relatively easy fix. good luck!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is what I have found / been told:

Ammo - 0
Trites - 0
Trates - 20

PH - 7.8 (taken 1st thing before lights kicked on) Testing again tonight.
Alk - 273

Salinity - 1.023

Temp - 80F

Went to LFS and spoke with owner - extremely knowledgable about everything I've ever asked.

He stated that my pH is on the low side, but he would expect a small swing 8.2-7.8 during the night when the corals and algae start making their own food and using oxygen and producing CO2... I'll buy that.

However he did say that my alk was just outside the range on the low side, so he recommended seachem buffer, which I got and dosed.

I also picked up a API Master kit, so I actually had my own pH kit.

Furthermore, he stated that the signs, symptoms that I was facing in his opinion would not be caused by anything to do with any readings that he got from the water. He did state however that it sounded like a bacterial infection commonly found in Green Chromis. He also stated that USUALLY it doesn't transfer to other fish, however, it is possible.

He also stated that there could have been factors that led to stress which caused the infections to show up more quickly.

His advice was to monitor all the fish very carefully for anything out of the ordinary. Act accordingly. He also stated that he wanted me to test my pH tonight after a full day of lights on, and ensure that it is up to 8.2. He stated to call him if not, and we would look to a plan of action.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't know much about any kind of bacterial infections, but it is a good idea to keep an eye on your pH. Our's was around 7.8 when our fish started dying too, and the LFS didn't think it was the cause until we went in the next time and it had dropped to 7.4. Sometimes the test kits that you get don;t give accurate readings. Ours always tests about .3 higher than it actually is according to the store's more reliable test. Maybe you could bring in another sample to the store instead of doing it yourself tonight once the lights have been on.
They don't like to put you on an arteficial buffer since it is difficult to get off of it once your tank is being dosed with it. That is why he is not trying to get you right on one after one reading being low. My LFS said that the low pH has been a chronic problem in our town all summer. almost everyone is coming in with low pH because the city water has become a bit acidic this summer. Even his display tank in the store suffered. The good news is that if that is all it is, it is fairly easy to fix. If it is the bacteria afterall, then I am sure your LFS will know what to recommend. Good luck, and let us know how things go!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear about your losses....
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Krista, thanks for the input and it looks like you may have pointed me in the right direction.

Red - Thank you, I was really feeling like crap for a while, thinking that I'd done something horribly wrong. I don't know if I should, but I do feel better knowing that it probably wasn't me.

I will definitely keep posting as I know more - someone else may encounter this same issue.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt dose yet, low alk doesnt really harm fish nearly as much as coral. Id just watch the fish closely and monitor levels
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup - thats the plan!

As soon as I go home, I'll test for pH again and hopefully we'll see.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com