Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank getting Wiped out one fish at a time

Okay, so some background - Approximately one week ago I started having fish die. First was a flame angel, then a royal gramma, and today a green chromis.

The flame was looking great and swimming around, eating well, then one day he disappeared completely. I looked everywhere around the tank, under the tank, in the sump, etc. Assuming he had jumped out and become a snack for my cat, I thought nothing more about it.

Next day, gramma starts acting weird, no weird look though other than swimming funny, no spots, no patches, no torn fins, etc.

I QT'd him for 24 hours - next day he is swimming well. I put him back into the DT only for him to float upside down to the bottom of the tank. He then twitched, swam away and hid. One hour later half of his body came floating from behind the rocks - the crabs already feasting.

Finally, I though I had a preggo chromis - it was getting very fat, had an orange spot on bottom rear of belly, heavy breathing and swimming slowly. It also was constantly hiding behind the overflow.

Today, I woke to find it stuck in a hole in the LR - I dislodged and it swam away. Three hours later, I go in to find it laying sideways on a piece of LR. I netted it, and placed it in QT tank.

Here is an attached pic - It looks like some pink / red coloration on its body.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you checked your parameters?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

did u ever find the dead flame?! maybe his body is decomposing somewhere you havent looked. Also, with all the dead fish and crabs eating, your Ammonia (and therefore nitrite + nitrate) may be high now
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup - other than a 1.022 salinity at one point, all the params have been spot on. Ammo -0 Trites - 0 Trates -20. Trates could be lower, but it was the same the day before I did a pwc, so I'll do another one this friday and that will be lower.

I honestly have to believe that it was something that came in on a fish.

I have a build thread going, that I explained that when going to QT, my QT tank cracked and leaked about 5 gallons of water everywhere!

So i bucked up - drip acclimated and crossed my fingers - My LFS told me that they QT for a week as well before selling... Not 100% on that one.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

PS - I have since purchased a new QT.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about your pH levels?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That really really stinks. If they had been in a qt you could have caught it earlier probably. I would have to agree that it was something that came in on the fish, but what? Doesnt sound like ich or velvet....

When I had my outbreak the fish almost had a burned look to them, like they had burned themselves on the heater which of course they couldnt have.

When did you buy the fish? Have you contacted the store yet? Maybe they can do something for you if you bring in a water sample to show you didn't do anything worng...
Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I purchased my latest fish the weekend before last. I'm planning to go to the lfs tomorrow and find out if they can do anything for me. I've spent $300 in the last month there, and I'm on a 1st name basis, so I hope they can at least help me with something. I always bring my water there as an additional water test, so they know I'm good to go there too.

I'm going to cross my fingers, and hope my Diamond goby, sixline, and 3 other chromis hang on for dear life.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kio, I don't have a test for pH though when I took water last week to lfs, they did the "Big" test with all sorts of fun stuff, and claimed that my water was good for fish and corals.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You should test your pH. We had the same thing happen (a fish dying every day after hiding and not eating the day before), and it turned out our pH had dropped to 7.4! We finally got it under control, and now no one is dying (after 4 weeks, it is up to 7.8, and things seem better). I would check on it.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com