Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2004, 02:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok, I will test the levels of the water as suggested, before filtration, after, and after salt mix. This is the ONLY thing I can control. Adding more LR, forget it. The tank being a 110 tall is only 4 feet long and 18 inches wide so I went as tall as I could with the LR before I cause a major tumble of rocks! It is the 1 thing I hate about this tank. The LR issue and placing my coral. As far as feeding I only feed a few cubes of homemade frozen food or a frozen blend every other day. So I don't think the food is the problem. I only feed 5-6 small cubes. It has to be the water somehow so now knowing my LR situation should I remove the bio-balls? And as for the fish I have no where to house them. If I improve water quality could the kick ich work in good water conditions? Or is there anything that may? As far as the filter cart. I have replaced 3 times in the last 6 months. The directions say to replace when the cart turns from orage to purple. I wait until it is 2/3 purple and then change it out so I don't know, but will check. I have a water softner tank on my house could this be a problem? The kind with the rock salt that is added to a tank on the side of the house. Any more info would be great. Thanks for at least giving me some direction with where to start.

Old 06-27-2004, 03:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
sorry, the kick ich is junk. Read through previous post and you will see disaster after disaster. If a med is strong enough to work, it will destroy good things in you tank. If it is "reef or invert safe", it will not kill the parasite.
If you really want to solve the parasite problem. A qt tanks is the answer. Once again, see previous post. Lots of good info.

Old 06-27-2004, 07:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
As far as feeding I only feed a few cubes of homemade frozen food or a frozen blend every other day. So I don't think the food is the problem. I only feed 5-6 small cubes.
What size are the cubes?
Old 06-27-2004, 09:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

That sounds like a lot of food to me!

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Two possible big contributors are the "wet/dry w/bioballs" remove the bio-balls. they contribute to the Nitrates;
I read alot in here about how bad bio balls are. All I can say is I've had my 50 gal reef with about 75 lbs of lr running for over 15 yrs now and have used bio balls in my wet/dry since day 1. With regular maintenance and water changes my nitrates have always been at zero or at least at a level that's not detectable.
IMO the high nitrates Annette is getting is either from all the food, 5-6 cubes seems like way to much food, or the water she is using for top offs and water changes has high nitrate levels.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:03 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt
I read alot in here about how bad bio balls are. All I can say is I've had my 50 gal reef with about 75 lbs of lr running for over 15 yrs now and have used bio balls in my wet/dry since day 1. With regular maintenance and water changes my nitrates have always been at zero or at least at a level that's not detectable.
IMO the high nitrates Annette is getting is either from all the food, 5-6 cubes seems like way to much food, or the water she is using for top offs and water changes has high nitrate levels.
Agreed. I have advocated this many times. The use of media for nitrification is rarely the issue. It's either lack of maintenance, over feeding or overstocking. These items work, they just need looking after

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-28-2004, 02:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok, I checked my water before and after filtration and after salt. The filter is the problem I believe, but the tap measures 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates, but the aquarium pham filter measures .1 phosphates and 10ppm nitrates, how can this be? Unless my tap has trace undetectable amounts of both and they have accumulated in the cart than this is the only way, no? My tap at this point is better although I am doing a 30 gal water change tomorrow with distilled. As far as the food the cubes are very small and my fish consume it very fast and the tang is very fast and very hungry anytime he sees me near the tank he thinks it's feeding time. If I feed them less which I have tried then they get pinched in bellies by the 2nd day and I don't think this is healthy either. I did have some nitrate removing cubes under the wet dry that the LFS told me to change only every 6 months and it has only been 4, but I took these out tonight, emptied my sump in the wet dry and these cubes were gross and dark brown. I am going to try only using the kent nitrate granules in the filter bag and see if this helps if I change them 1 time a month. One last question, my skimmer was fine until I put in the kent phosphate removing granules in a filter bag in the sump. I took them out and changed for new ones after 2 days, but my skimmer fills a gallon of clear water after only 15 min or so. Is there any reason this could be happening? I checked the skimmer and it is ok and set to the lowest setting, I also added red slime remover about 6 days ago because the phos was causing red slime in my sand bed. What could have caused my skimmer to go haywire? I hate running the tank w/o a skimmer with so much bad stuff going on. And oh, can I put a vlamingi tang, yellow tank, pink anthias, and 4 perculas in a 30 gal for a month for my ich treatment or will they be stressed? I know dumb question, but this is all I have room for is a 30 and before I buy it what else do I need as far as filtration for the month of QT for the ich? And also how many water changes in the QT tank while treating it? I hate to ask the LFS because I am learning they are so stupid! I really want to get this all under control asap so any more suggestions would be wonderful and thank you all sooo much for your help. My tank would be destroyed beyond repair if it weren't for this forum!
Old 06-28-2004, 06:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

your skimmer is going nuts because of all of the stuff you are adding to the tank.
your hospital tank will be full, so be prepared to do frequent water changes to keep nh4 in check.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:22 PM   #19
steve-s

By the sounds of it, feedings are still your biggest contributor to the main tanks poblems. Tangs need constant grazing foods to keep up with their higher metabolisms. Increasing the amounts of feeding will not solve your problem. Instead add some nori for them daily or even twice daily, just be sure it gets eaten and does not decompose. The other fish should easily get by with your cubed foods. 2-3 cubes every other day should be plenty. When it comes to water quality it does not matter if the animals eat all the foods you feed or not. What goes in must come out and the detritus is just as polluting.

The Kent sponge will not likely do much if anything. They work best in a very low flow environment. Getting rid of the phosphates is a good step but the red slime remover is just a stop gap and the cause for your skimmer going wonky. Keep up with the PO4 remover but discontinue the red slime remover. Keep doing repeated water changes with the pure water and syphon out the cyano at the same time.

Agreed with Darb2 on the QT but don't worry about the NH4, just test for NH3 and the other usual ones, NO2, NO3 and pH. You will need to watch your feedings and be sure you always have some well aged SW prepared. Most likley water quality will be hard to control. Have losts of PVC pipe in the QT as well so the fish have places to hide. How big are the tangs?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-29-2004, 02:28 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

The vlamingi is about 4 inches and the yellow from nose to tail tip is about 3 inches maybe. I know the vlamingi will eventually outgrow the tank and is already a pig with te nori on the clip he goes through it in about 5 min. forget the grazing. He doesn't graze he pigs out. So how long should I age the SW for the QT? And what filtration do I need for it? I will watch out for the levels and do a lot of water changes, but how do I filter when using copper meds? Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com