Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
It's more about the amount of fish and their bioload than the uneaten food. If you got some big fish that have a big bio it is likely your system will never be able to sustain them. One of the reasons they list recommended tank sizes for types of fish, so you can work out waste management. What's your remaining stock list?
1 vlamingi tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue hippo tang, 3 true perc clownfish, 1 six line wrasse and a damsel i had a cleaner wrasse but he died today i dont think from my water conditions him and my six line didnt get along since day 1, about 6 snails and 8 crabs . By any chance would you maybe be able to tell me what fish to remove to get my levels back in check and also if i had a sump would i still have this same problem . Thanks in advanced i appreciate the help from everybody.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

All three tangs are too big for your system. If you can re home them then you can work on getting your nitrates down. Once you have stable parameters you can consider adding other livestock suitable for your size tank...

Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding a sump won't fix the problem with those fish, they are simply too big for your system. Sumps are beneficial for many reasons but are not necessary in my opinion for that size tank. I don't use one on my 55g but I would if I was to upgrade...
Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've posted this before on another thread you started about your fish. You have 1 fish that will get to be 2 feet long. Another will be 1 ft long and the smallest will be 8". The biggest won't be able to turn in your teeny tiny straight jacket of a tank. They will all die. Too bad because as you have said you put a lot of money into fish that do not belong.
Don't worry about the nitrate levels because there is nothing you can do to get your thimble of a tank to support those monsters. Not to mention the other 6 fish (3 of which are clowns aren't they?).
Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Who sold you the 3 tangs and who sold 3 clowns for 1 tank? Whoever did it should be blacklisted because they are an amateur retailer.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is what gets new sw keepers in trouble...no research as to how big a tank a fish requires.... In sw,less is better...there are tank sizes in sw id books for a reason.. Theyre there to prevent this.. Tangs need to ALL go..get your tank back under control param wise... And not "band aid" fixes..too much stock too soon..chain stores take advantage of noobies 99% of the time... Their job doesnt depend on patronage as much as the "mom&pop" shops do( theyre rep is their liveliehood..they goof and lose customers,they lose $$) sorry to be so blunt and opinionated,but thats how i am sometimes...
Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

My 55 gal sw only had a yellow tang, a juvie Emperor, and 4 damsels and I was pushing it! But as mentioned above, my LFS did give me advice and was helping me monitor it as well. And gave me step by step help when needed. The owner made sure I was set in cycle before he would sell me my first fish. And this was AFTER a month long fishless cycle and a 2 week damsel cycle. I do blame the chain stores...no support!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Remove some of the fish and stop feeding the tank. feed it 2 times a week and do water changes until you get things back in a safe range. 3 times a day is ridiculous.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with mr x I do not even feed my tanks that often. I feed 2 times a week and put a bit of seaweed in a clip for them on occasion and that is with a damsel and a clown with a couple of hermit crabs. And my tank is only 30 gallons
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would get rid of the Tangs, one of the clowns and the Damsel. Those Tangs need a much larger tank and will never thrive in that small of a Tank (regardless of how small they might be now). Clowns should be in pairs and Damsels are nasty little fish.

That will decrease the bioload and should allow you to get your parameters back in check with less feeding and some water changes. Moving forward, go much, much slower and ask for feedback on future purchases. You will get good feedback here.

Tags
control, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com