Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
that big of a water change may cause your tank to go through a mini cycle process by shocking the rock and causing an ammonia spike. jc

Old 08-10-2003, 08:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
RR69 - I put all the water into a large rubbermaid container and throw a PH and a heater in it. Then I check the salinity and make adjustments as needed. I test the pH, but up to this point it has never been off from my tank's water.

xxmoorishmanxx - This is acceptable to me. There's hardly anything else to kill in the tank.

For those of you who follow the melodrama in my tank, you might not be surprised to find out that I'm frustrated out of my mind. Thus, after this water change, and cleaning of the sump (changed my mind on that), I will be close-pinning a towel around the front of my tank for at least one week, putting my lights on a timer, and refusing to lay eyes on the **** thing until at least one week has passed. By that time, hopefully the water change, sump cleaning, and carbon will have eliminated this fish tank kryptonite that I seem to have aquired.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

a huge water change may cause a mini cycle processe to occur due to it killing off LR by shock. this will cause a huge ammonia spike. JC
Old 08-10-2003, 08:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

oky doky (sorry i double mesaged i didn't think the first one went through) jc
Old 08-11-2003, 11:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Update

Yesterday I changed 35 gallons in my tank (and sump). This is really about a 100% water change, but since I couldn't drain it down to the sand line all at once, it was more like 90%. I took the sump off the tank, bought a gallon of vinegar, and spent about two hours cleaning the sump. I let the bioballs soak for a while, too.

When I was done cleaning the sump (after the water change), I noticed that two of my corals were beginning to open. So, I hooked the sump back up, and within minutes they were closed again. Now I'm thinking that one possibility is stray voltage. Could anyone educate me on this issue? All of my crustaceans are still doing just fine. Does stray voltage not affect them as much or something? HELP!

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 08-11-2003, 11:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
a grounding probe is very inexpensive if i remember correctly it was around the ten dollar amount at www.reefgeek.com and for a new thought is there 2 much current when the sump is running?
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:45 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I doubt there is too much current. It's a CAP 1800 with about 4.5 feet of head pressure. According to the chart on the side of the box it will operate about 250 gph at that height. I don't know if it does quite that. The hair algae gently blows in the current, but it's certainly not hanging on for dear life... also, would the starfish and cuke die from current?

Still looking for info on stray voltage problems. Anyone?

Old 08-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
stray voltage would affect your inverts as well.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does anyone have any recommendations for me after the water change and the cleaning of the sump and the addition of a large quantity of carbon to my filter other than just giving it time?

I've always noticed that my corals are a "canary in a coal mine" concerning the general health of my tank, and they definitely don't like what's going on. I just want to know if there's anything else I can do before I take a good, long break from my tank. No fish to worry about. I'm just going to close-pin a towel around it and leave it along for like a couple weeks. I want to make sure that things are ready to level out some during that time, though. Any other recommendations for me?

Old 08-11-2003, 03:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Update

I went home at lunch, and the corals (star polyps & daisy polyps) were open up just a bit. It was about the same as last night right before I put the sump back on the tank. It looks like maybe everything is coming back.

I made a couple other observations and connections...

1) The day I put the sump on for the first time (when all this mess started) I took a rock out of the tank that was covered in hair algae. I held the rock over the sink (never set it down) and plucked the hair algae off so it would be short enough to be eaten, and so it wouldn't overgrow the polyps on the rock. Now the hair algae on that rock is losing its color. It's turning a much lighter color as time goes on.

2) I have a few pieces of bubble algae in the tank, and two of them are now clear. it's like all the algae was drained out of them. They are 100% bubbles now. They are on different rocks from the one I took out of the tank.

Any useful information here? Like maybe that rock I took out of the tank could be the problem?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« copper | Parasite? »