Tank Move Gone Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, yesterday was the tank (125 gal w/ fishs, inverts and soft corals) move and for the most part it seemed to go smoothly. It was like 40 degrees outside and it took us 6 hours to complete.

We got the tank settled and all inhabitants back in. I needed to alter the stand to accommodate the return pump and a monster sized skimmer.

Soon after, i started seeing the fish stress out and swim erratic in the corners. One by one, I lost them all. First the Sailfin, then the Butterfly Fish,the flame angel and the clown.

What I haven't lost yet are the 2 urchins, the coral banded shrimp, conch, snails, crabs and whatever else is in there. I always thought inverts would be the first to go!

My PH is 8.3/8.4 (using a digital PH tester against a regular PH test kit) but I dont have the test kits to do amm and nitrite. Yet. Thought I was getting with the setup. The SG 0s 1.024 and the temp is now 80 or so (i'm adjusting the therms.) It was cooler than that for a while. Maybe 74/75 when this happened.

So, my original hypothesis is that the cold killed off some of the LR and the tank is cycling right now.

Any thoughts? Think the corals will be ok?

So, yesterday was the tank (125 gal w/ fishs, inverts and soft corals) move and for the most part it seemed to go smoothly. It was like 40 degrees outside and it took us 6 hours to complete.

We got the tank settled and all inhabitants back in. I needed to alter the stand to accommodate the return pump and a monster sized skimmer.

Soon after, i started seeing the fish stress out and swim erratic in the corners. One by one, I lost them all. First the Sailfin, then the Butterfly Fish,the flame angel and the clown.

What I haven't lost yet are the 2 urchins, the coral banded shrimp, conch, snails, crabs and whatever else is in there. I always thought inverts would be the first to go!

My PH is 8.3/8.4 (using a digital PH tester against a regular PH test kit) but I dont have the test kits to do amm and nitrite. Yet. Thought I was getting with the setup. The SG 0s 1.024 and the temp is now 80 or so (i'm adjusting the therms.) It was cooler than that for a while. Maybe 74/75 when this happened.

So, my original hypothesis is that the cold killed off some of the LR and the tank is cycling right now.

Any thoughts? Think the corals will be ok?

Did you stir up some of the sandbed? That could be bad.

Now that in have no fish producing waste and I have nothing to feed, what can I do for the corals?

you don't need to do anything for the corals. i would head to the store for some test kits though.

corals thrive under good water conditions and light. they are mostly photosynthetic like plants. i would do whatever i could to keep the water clean (no ammonia or nitrites of course, and low nitrates) and enjoy the tank. i would be doing some water changes to get the levels correct and enjoy the tank.

I would say to feed the corals some coral food to at least keep your tank cycled. But first make sure that your tank is not in a mini cycle right now. You really need those test kits. Everybody can develop their own opinion on whether to feed coral or not, but take a look at this article from a "big name" in the hobby.... Reef Food by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

feeding corals in a tank with high nutrients is a bad idea. it is definitely counter productive in this situation.
beneficial bacteria will not die in the short time (a month tops?) it takes to get through this cycle. furthermore, the cycle itself is keeping the bacteria alive.

Ph is 8.4 by my monitor, 8.0 by API
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

I didn't test for nitrate as I don't think that's the culprit.

How do you deal with something you can't test for?

So we didn't use all the LR and I ended up leaving it out in the garage in the cold with no water. I planned in selling of trading. Is it too late to add some to the tank/sump?

I was thinking of a few med pieces in the sump and a couple in the DT

But I have plenty in both. Just wanted some overkill

well, i would not add it then. better safe than sorry. if you want, cure it in a separate container then add it later.

So, we're thinking that temperature was the culprit as it was cold during the move and the fish were exposed to the cold water for a while. But so was the shrimp.

The water parameters are fine. I can only assume that was it.

I'm thinking that I can start adding fish soon if the test remain as they are.

How did you acclimate the fish? I have heard going from cold to warm is worse than warm to cold.

The move was about 40 minutes drive.

I actually didn't see the fish get added to the tank. I had to run out to Lowes for plumbing. I assume they added them with the water we kept from the tank then the temp was raised.

If the fish were added quickly, or dumped from cooler water into warmer tank water, I think that would do it.

I am sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom