Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank of DEATH

5 year old foxface lo and a 5 year old wrasse came in my tank for school. They were both wild caught.

Our tank is the tank of death and has killed a coral beauty, a bi colored angel, 2 moderately sized urchins and a shrimp. We recently changed they into a completely new tank.

The wrasse eats brine in the morning and the foxface normally are tetra marine saltwater granules.

Parameters are
Temp 79 f
Ph 8.0
Salinity 1.021 (because of tank change)
Ammonia 1.0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Calcium 340 ppm
Phosphate 5 ppm
API saltwater master test kit

The wrasse is hiding constantly. It never moves when we are present. It's not very bright but there is not growth on it. It's hiding at the bottom of the tank.
The foxface is breathing heavy on its side under a rock. It's colored a purpleish color. It does not move.
(Ps we have done bacteria cultures and found red bacteria all over the old tank. Our teacher has never saw anything like it before)

Adoughable005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
How big is the tank and how is it set up? Live rock? Filtration? How long after the fish are introduced are they dying?

Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ammonia is ridiculously high. Probably what's causing the fish distress. Was this new tank cycled before you added these fish? I'm willing to bet not with 0 nitrates and phosphates off the chart.
First thing you need to do (if ammonia really IS that high) is a 50% pwc followed by Dr Tim's or another instant cycling additive to eliminate the ammonia. As much as I hate instant cycling additives (if you've read my posts you'll know I do), this is the time to use it.
Salinity shouldn't be low "because of a tank change", it should be around 1.025. But that's not the cause of the stress, but it's probably not helping the fish any.
Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote

death, eat, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com