Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

tank taking a turn for the worst

hey guys im faceing a big problem with my tank ive had 2 fish die on me this weekend and another 2 are looking bad. The fish are swimming irradicly rubbing on rocks some have tiny white spots on head and body , some fin rot, most still have a good appetite, although my lawnmower blenny looked like he starved to death despite plenty of food around. i need help please give any questions or advice

Old 11-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

ohh thought i would add ive been doing PWC every week to battle cynao so water quality is good there have been short wxposer to the dead fish in tank untill i find them but not fo rvery long

Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
im thinking ich. ive never had any expirence with it but now u kno what it may be so hope that it helps a little. pic's could confirm.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definately need you to post your test results before the diagnosis. And some more general info about your tank. How big, how long setup, whats your water source, equipment etc...

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

i was thinkg ick or velvet, im wonding treat one at a tiem in QT or treat whole tank i have LR and amenomes so the "whole tank" option not looking good
Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

its 75gal its been up for little over 3 months had small spike of ammonia of .25 from dead fish until i found it like i said ive been doing weekly PWC to battle cyano so it was quickly put back right my water source is RO water (GE RO system), equi. hang on back bio wheel filter (filter media active carbon, phos. absorb, bio-zorbe), UV filter, protien skimmer, 2 filter heads for circulation
Old 11-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman1973 View Post
its 75gal its been up for little over 3 months had small spike of ammonia of .25 from dead fish until i found it like i said ive been doing weekly PWC to battle cyano so it was quickly put back right my water source is RO water (GE RO system), equi. hang on back bio wheel filter (filter media active carbon, phos. absorb, bio-zorbe), UV filter, protien skimmer, 2 filter heads for circulation
So that means 0 nitrates 0 nitrites is this correct??

It seems to me to be one of 2 things. either the tank had a mini-cycle. or Its something wrong with your PWC paramaters. How exactly are you preparing your saltwater how long do you let it settle and how are you testing SG. What is the temperature of your tank and the temp of your PWC. Are you testing the new batch of Saltwater before adding it to your tank?? How much Live rock do you have in your tank>?>?

Also I have never heard of Absorb or Bio-zorb what are those used for?? Isn't just Carbon enough??

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 11-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

yea like i said i had short prob when a fish died in tank and i couldnt find teh body the amm. went to .25 nitrates went 12.5 but both are now back to zero this problem hsa been around longer than the temp wter quailty problems though i should of acted eariler
Old 11-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

my pwc i do 8gal evey week 13 gal on sec. week i mix teh wat and salt and put air pump and stone in it for 20 to 30 min b4 i pu tit in the tank i thought teh smaller amounts of pwc wouldnt have agreat effect on tank temp ...mabey i was wrong???
Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

the saltwater needs to settle for 24 hours before you put it in the tank. I started this thread a while back which explains everything Reason for 24 hours settling of saltwater

FijiWigi_Tank_photos

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com