Tank too clean for cleaner shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snickeson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My water test blew the guy's mind at the aquatics store when I went to take back my dead cleaner shrimp I purchased 2 days ago.

Ammonia= he says .25 I say 0
Nitrate=0
Nitrite =0
Ph= 8.3
Alkalinity= 2.5

My tank is 3.5 months old and says my test make no sense? I don't see why. And says my cleaner died because I have to nitrates.

Thoughts?

Cleaner shrimp don't clean anything except large fish. Was it a bigger one? If so it could have been old age.

He seemed like average pet store size. Probably 1.5"?
He told me I starved it. I only had it for 2 days! Didn't think it could starve that fast.

Agreed! Although I appreciate the fact that they gave me a credit.

At least you can use the credit toward a new cleaner, that is if you want any of their stock to go in your tank again

When I bought it they told be float acclimate. Float 15 mins, d pour out half the water and add back the same amount of my own aquarium water. Did this 3 times. I was a bit concerned considering that I read on liveaquaria.com to drip acclimate cleaner shrimp. But I did as instructed so if he did die there was no issue.

Next time I would drip it. You can get away with that floating bag with the hole in it acclimation at times, but not always.

Back
Top Bottom