Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
That BAD luck just dosen't STOP!

Well as many of you know I lost a purple tang this weekend turns out temp rose to high and they are sensitive to that. Well this morning I got up but had to go to school and noticed no green chromis! Well when I got home I saw it laying there on the ground with one eye eaten out GRR! Hopefully this bad luck will end! Off to the fish store to get some cheap fish tommrow. "Green Chromis, Clown, Goby?"

Old 06-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

PLEASE tell me you are kidding!!

This is NOT "luck", this will continue to happen as you add more fish in. Something is not right with your tank, and you honestly need to take a break and let things settle. Please do not subject future fish to this so suddenly.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

how new is this tank?
Can we see some water parameters?

I'm not familiar with tangs, so I'll take your word for it that they're sensitive to temp swings, esp. high temps.

so you now have 1 chromis and 1 green mandarin, right?

I have to say, the attitude of 'guess I'll go buy some cheap fish' isn't ideal. It doesn't make it sound like you're having fun. I know you're frustrated and that can ruin your attitude...but don't let it. Figure out if the chromis was just bullied to death, or if something's wrong with the tank chemistry. Maybe the tang didn't die due to high temps.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No the PT died because of temp fluctuation its Fing hot here! its about 90=95 degrees and I dont have my Air Conitioning in yet going in tonight. The chromis died becuase I take it a crab picked its eye out or something adn they are known jumpers so I know it didnt die of disease. The other green chromis and the green manderine are stil alive and doing great. The green chromis was in the wrong spot at the wrong time happened in middle of night when the noctunal creatures thrive and it decided it was a good idea to make its home in a hole in a rock. I talked to my LFS man and thats what we came to the conclusion also tested water everythings in check. No signs of mantis or tell signs "tapping" I am gonna go ahead and buy CHEAP fish tommrow to see how they hold up. because everything esle is doing great and no signs of stress the manderine is finally starting to come out even jumping from rock to rock looking for food. And the other green chromis is doing what he does best swim around toward the middle back and forth. The LFS owner said many people were loosing fish to heat and it stuck me also. Temp is 78 in morning then if afternoon 83! Time to get AC on it and the MH isnt helping the temp and I have fan blowing on it. I will let you know how the fish hold up. But no show piece fish yet no ready to spend 40-50 dollars for a flame just in case.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everything is zeroed out Nitrates Nitrites Ammonia PH is 8.3-8.4 Salinit 1.025. My attitude isnt to hurt. Because other fish are doing great. Tank is approximetly 2-3 months old. With LR I've had for about 9months had to be redone because of tapwater start off and major cyno problem and hair alage.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry, didn't realize the chromis had carpet surfed. missing eyes aren't usually water chemistry issues either.

Have you thought about clownfish? good tempered fish that tend to be hardy, especially false percula's
Old 06-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep picking up a tomato tommrow my personal favorite. And another green chromis. They should surrvive since everythings checks fine. I will admit I am nervus now Im considering a chiller but most are $300+. Does anyone know how to do a DIY chiller?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Kohan Bros.
I'm just wondering why you decided to get a green mandarin when ur tank is only 2-3 months old?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Had the LR for about 9months like I said before. And the tank is loaded with pods. When I look in the fuge I see about 7 just on the cornor. And as I look around the tank I see them scurrying all over the rocks he looks nice and plump now. He jums from rock to rock looking for food. I am also planning on getting a brine shrimp hachery since they are nice and cheap. He looks good and happy now. Also Ive heard if they pod population gets to strong it will eventually start deminishing so I figured keep it stable with a manderine unless it eats to much but I;m already planning for the problems IE brine shrimp.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

My temp has been all over the place this week. As high as 86. My purple tang is just fine. I'm not buying the temp flux. My green chromis aren't sweating any either...

Good luck with whatever you decide... more fish just doesn't seem like a good answer.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com