That BAD luck just dosen't STOP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well as many of you know I lost a purple tang this weekend turns out temp rose to high and they are sensitive to that. Well this morning I got up but had to go to school and noticed no green chromis! Well when I got home I saw it laying there on the ground with one eye eaten out GRR! Hopefully this bad luck will end! Off to the fish store to get some cheap fish tommrow. "Green Chromis, Clown, Goby?"

PLEASE tell me you are kidding!!

This is NOT "luck", this will continue to happen as you add more fish in. Something is not right with your tank, and you honestly need to take a break and let things settle. Please do not subject future fish to this so suddenly.

how new is this tank?
Can we see some water parameters?

I'm not familiar with tangs, so I'll take your word for it that they're sensitive to temp swings, esp. high temps.

so you now have 1 chromis and 1 green mandarin, right?

I have to say, the attitude of 'guess I'll go buy some cheap fish' isn't ideal. It doesn't make it sound like you're having fun. I know you're frustrated and that can ruin your attitude...but don't let it. Figure out if the chromis was just bullied to death, or if something's wrong with the tank chemistry. Maybe the tang didn't die due to high temps.

No the PT died because of temp fluctuation its Fing hot here! its about 90=95 degrees and I dont have my Air Conitioning in yet going in tonight. The chromis died becuase I take it a crab picked its eye out or something adn they are known jumpers so I know it didnt die of disease. The other green chromis and the green manderine are stil alive and doing great. The green chromis was in the wrong spot at the wrong time happened in middle of night when the noctunal creatures thrive and it decided it was a good idea to make its home in a hole in a rock. I talked to my LFS man and thats what we came to the conclusion also tested water everythings in check. No signs of mantis or tell signs "tapping" I am gonna go ahead and buy CHEAP fish tommrow to see how they hold up. because everything esle is doing great and no signs of stress the manderine is finally starting to come out even jumping from rock to rock looking for food. And the other green chromis is doing what he does best swim around toward the middle back and forth. The LFS owner said many people were loosing fish to heat and it stuck me also. Temp is 78 in morning then if afternoon 83! Time to get AC on it and the MH isnt helping the temp and I have fan blowing on it. I will let you know how the fish hold up. But no show piece fish yet no ready to spend 40-50 dollars for a flame just in case.

Everything is zeroed out Nitrates Nitrites Ammonia PH is 8.3-8.4 Salinit 1.025. My attitude isnt to hurt. Because other fish are doing great. Tank is approximetly 2-3 months old. With LR I've had for about 9months had to be redone because of tapwater start off and major cyno problem and hair alage.

sorry, didn't realize the chromis had carpet surfed. missing eyes aren't usually water chemistry issues either.

Have you thought about clownfish? good tempered fish that tend to be hardy, especially false percula's

Yep picking up a tomato tommrow my personal favorite. And another green chromis. They should surrvive since everythings checks fine. I will admit I am nervus now Im considering a chiller but most are $300+. Does anyone know how to do a DIY chiller?

I'm just wondering why you decided to get a green mandarin when ur tank is only 2-3 months old?

Had the LR for about 9months like I said before. And the tank is loaded with pods. When I look in the fuge I see about 7 just on the cornor. And as I look around the tank I see them scurrying all over the rocks he looks nice and plump now. He jums from rock to rock looking for food. I am also planning on getting a brine shrimp hachery since they are nice and cheap. He looks good and happy now. Also Ive heard if they pod population gets to strong it will eventually start deminishing so I figured keep it stable with a manderine unless it eats to much but I;m already planning for the problems IE brine shrimp.

My temp has been all over the place this week. As high as 86. My purple tang is just fine. I'm not buying the temp flux. My green chromis aren't sweating any either...

Good luck with whatever you decide... more fish just doesn't seem like a good answer.

Phyl said:
My purple tang is just fine. I'm not buying the temp flux. My green chromis aren't sweating any either....

I'm not saying your wrong or trying to prove you wrong but, one of my chromis' decided it would be a good idea to jump out of the tank had nothing to do w/ water. The PT I forgot to mention was new had him for 3 days. So the stress of being moved then the added stress of the temperature flux. may have added to the stress just an idea. But according to the man at my LFS which is all saltwater/coral said many people have lost there fish due to temp flux. this weekend and thats how we came to a conclusion. If all water peramiters are in check and salinity is fine. With both mine and the stores test then what else can I tell you besides temp is the only thing I've noticed? Please let me know again "I'm not trying to prove you wrong."

I was just reading someones post and it say it killed one of there fish could this be the cause of why the Chromis lost an eye and how would I know? If I havnt seen it attacking anything?

I'm not quite sure of what's happening but I have had large temp swings overnight and never had any deaths because of it. A temp swing happens rather gradually so in a way the fish get acclimated the the new temp slowly. I'm not sure if that is indeed the problem. What if anything did you introduce to your tank and how long ago?

PT was introduced on Saturday along with the Chromis, Chromis died from jumping. The PT died I believe from either not being aclimated properly dripped him for 45min maybe needed longer or temp swings because peramitiers are fine. The PT died on Tuesday at 1230AM so it could have been an aclimation problem it is close. Or them temp swings I'm not sure. But since the other fish are still alive thats what I have come to! Also PT's arnt very hardy fish so that could have lead to it. Its just that the guy at the store mention many deaths because of temp. flux's. so I put it in that catigory and seeing how the Chomis and the Manderine are hardy though the Manderine is listed as dificult because of its eating habbits I didnt know what else to put it on.

I was just reading your other post on this subject. You said your tang was gasping for air. I could be wrong but this doesn't sound like a temp related reaction to me. Like I said if your temp swings 4 or 5 degrees it does this over a few hours. These fish can handle temps as high as 86 or as low as 76 so unless the temp swing is very sudden I can't see that being a cause of death. Lack of oxygen or the presence of ammonia are two of the more predominant reasons for gasping fish. There could have been a parasite introduced when you added those fish. I really hope you haven't bought anymore fish until you know for sure what's wrong.

not really the time to critisize him it isn't it? Kohan?
most people add that fish in cuz they are so atractive, nothing new to us.
A lot of people belive they be able to keep the fish a live by try to get them to eat frozen food so, either way we should give good advice and info on his current stats instead of asking why he did it the first place.

oyf709 said:
not really the time to critisize him it isn't it? we should give good advice and info on his current stats instead of asking why he did it the first place.

This is a touchy subject, merely because this forum is intended to give people good advice on their decisions to help them keep proper animal husbandry. Now, in theory, yes... we should not criticize... however, realize that these threads are open for all to read... expert and beginner. None of us are willing to sit and do nothing if we are aware of unproper husbandry without mentioning a corrective course of action. This member has expressed several times trouble he has been having with his situation. The attitude to get a fish just because it was "cheap" definitely is something that I myself wouldn't condone, or suggest that anyone else should follow.

Now, he asked for help with his Purple Tang as to why it would die... help was given. Now, he wants to add in fish straight back into the mix, with what is considered poor justification, and questionable motives. This in itself is cause to raise an eyebrow and bring it to his attention. In the end, we wish to help him with the best decisions for the livelihood of his fish, and to help him to not get discouraged from setbacks. No remarks are meant to be hurtful. I know that if I mentioned that I was going to put something in my tank that was horribly misplaced, I would appreciate others telling me I was making a mistake. All advice is intended for this purpose... whether asked directly or not.

That being said... everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions, and nobody is required to follow the advice of one specific person. None of us are tested pros... we just learn from each other and keep an open mind for aquarium advice. :D

:soap: And now back to our originally scheduled program...

RLG2182 said:
oyf709 said:
not really the time to critisize him it isn't it? we should give good advice and info on his current stats instead of asking why he did it the first place.

This is a touchy subject, merely because this forum is intended to give people good advice on their decisions to help them keep proper animal husbandry. Now, in theory, yes... we should not criticize... however, realize that these threads are open for all to read... expert and beginner. None of us are willing to sit and do nothing if we are aware of unproper husbandry without mentioning a corrective course of action. This member has expressed several times trouble he has been having with his situation. The attitude to get a fish just because it was "cheap" definitely is something that I myself wouldn't condone, or suggest that anyone else should follow.

Now, he asked for help with his Purple Tang as to why it would die... help was given. Now, he wants to add in fish straight back into the mix, with what is considered poor justification, and questionable motives. This in itself is cause to raise an eyebrow and bring it to his attention. In the end, we wish to help him with the best decisions for the livelihood of his fish, and to help him to not get discouraged from setbacks. No remarks are meant to be hurtful. I know that if I mentioned that I was going to put something in my tank that was horribly misplaced, I would appreciate others telling me I was making a mistake. All advice is intended for this purpose... whether asked directly or not.

That being said... everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions, and nobody is required to follow the advice of one specific person. None of us are tested pros... we just learn from each other and keep an open mind for aquarium advice. :D

:soap: And now back to our originally scheduled program...

maybe if u read carefully wat kohan's post u maybe figure out he isn't saying anything about adding more fish, he was saying why the guy baught a mandarin at the first place which alrdy been done so nothing he can do about it other than return the fish to the lfs if something must be done.I ain't saying that others can't give comment on wat is wrong. I totally agree on not adding any more fish before find out watz really killing those fish.

Good luck on your new fish. If your water is in good shape and you can get the temp to stay a little more consistant than go for a new fish. But PLEASE make sure every thingin the tank is ok. I understand the chromis carpet surfing, I have had that too. As for the PT make sure you acclimate for atleast an hour if driping. It takes a while for a drop a second to bring 10 cups of water to the same parameters. I am moving to the side of improper acclimation on the reason for the PT death. As for the manderine, just watch him if he get too skinney you can buy pod kits off the internet. The brine will only be like candy as they do not have much nutrirional value in them for the fish. Good luck with your tank!!!

When did i say their was something wrong with adding the mandarin. I posted " Im jsut wandering why you got a green mandarin when ur tank is only 2-3 months old."
Never once did i critisize ANYONE. I was just wondering because i am curious. I wanted to know if his mandarin is doing well. Im sorry for not just PMing him.
But then Seriuous Dude justifies why he bought his mandarin with a very good answer.

Im sorry Serious Dude taht i contributed to ruining ur thread.
I hope that your fish do well.

"curiousity killed the cat" Once again im sorry.

Back
Top Bottom