Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

The cloudy eye of death?

So a week and a half ago I noticed one cloudy eye on my clownfish. Later that week it disappeared and I didn't think anything of it. Well the last few days my clownfishes condition has gotten worse and today she died. . . Now this afternoon I notice a cloudy eye on my other clownfish, who is also acting a little out of the norm, could this be some parasite? It's definitely not pop eye and I just don't want to slowly lose all my fish.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did the first fishes condition get "worse"?

One cloudy eye is typically bacterial or an injury. It can be viral or even the onset of disease. Your best bet is to improve water quality (water changes, maintain pristine parameters, and make sure filters are kept clean) and improve diet/add vitamins.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

The cloudy eye went away but the fishes behavior just became more and more abnormal. Do you think that it's death a week and a half later was linked to its eye infection?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What exactly was it doing that was abnormal? Was it scraping against rocks or the sand? Was it not eating? Was it hanging out near the top? Did it show any signs of disease (spots, white patches, rapid breathing, discoloration)?

In my limited experience with "eye issues" and based on what I've read, it is often due to less than optimal water conditions. Water changes and cleaning filters to get as much bacteria/"stuff" out of the water plus improved diet (add vitamins and make sure the fish is eating what it needs) usually clears things up. If it is the prelude to disease, then treating whatever it is usually clears it up.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

She hosted my frogspawn awhile back and in her time of decline she didnt come out at all. She hardly ate, was slightly discolored, and was very sluggish in movement. As far as parameters are concerned everything has been spot on with no radical changes one way or the other. Although, I will clean the whole tank when I get home to try to keep quality top notch.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com