Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

read the article that melosu58 reccomended and it made it sound like attinic bulbs aren't good with this problem??

Old 01-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

When you change your bulbs do not change all the bulbs at one time. I change 2 at a time 2 months apart. Six bulbs in all. T5s HO 54watt 4 10k, 2 antinic.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

artie...

How about some water test results? Nitrates/phosphates/pH/salinity would be a good start. Also, where are you getting your source water from and how often (and how much) are you doing water changes.

Cyano is basically a nutrient issue and the answers to those questions normally point to the main culprit in most cases. Whether or not you run daylight bulbs or actinic bulbs really don't make a difference.

Christine...

If you wait until your lights burn out (which will be YEARS down the road) the lighting spectrum will have shifted sooo much not only will you most likely have algae issues, but your corals will not be liking your tank. I change my PC bulbs every 6 months like clockwork. The first time I did it, I was amazed at how much brighter things were. (And that was just after changing one half of the bulbs!)
Old 01-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

had water tested 6 weeks ago at the local aquatic store ( called Aquatica by the way) and they said it was all good, maybe a little high on the calcium, been using Purple-Up (backed off). Get my water from them also. Only have had my live rock for 6 months, could it be contaminated or infected. though Ive had cyno before, not this bad. read some other articles, someone suggested using carbon. some one else said they good results with erethromycin. I have no corals or anything. light bar is only 5 months old. some one else said go a couple days without lights. what about recureing the rock
Old 01-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
had water tested 6 weeks ago at the local aquatic store
6 weeks ago is a long time. Need it tested today.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup... what he said. Best to get your own test kits so you can not only test your tank water, but also the water you're getting from the LFS. Until you know the exact numbers of your water parameters then you're just throwing money away on "solutions". If the water you're getting at the LFS is bad, then it's just like throwing gas on a fire. And if your nitrates or phosphates are through the roof in your tank, then you can keep dosing with any of the "wonder fixes" and it'll just keep coming back. It's best to find the problem, and fix it.

And just my personal opinion... ditch the PurpleUp, completely. If you have no corals, it's doing no good other than adding a bunch of stuff you don't need. (And even if you had corals... it's still not needed, in my opinion.)

How often are you doing water changes? If you have a cyano problem, and you aren't doing at least 10-20% weekly, then that would be a good place to start.

Recuring the rock will do nothing really. Your rock is cured already. No need to start over. The rock isn't the problem... it's what's in your water.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

if the water from the LFS was bad, wouldnt everybody that goes there have the same problem. and from the last part of my first post, I have a buddy with a 125 who used his well water to fill his tank, uses it for top off's, never does water changes, 1-1\2 year old light bar(400 w cpf's), and has a sweet tank, choralline algae, and lots of other healthy specimans. Just lucky?? for 2 years?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
we all know that guy that has that tank that is perfect with no effort. I cannot explain their success. For me aquariums take work, lots of it.
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
if the water from the LFS was bad, wouldnt everybody that goes there have the same problem. and from the last part of my first post, I have a buddy with a 125 who used his well water to fill his tank, uses it for top off's, never does water changes, 1-1\2 year old light bar(400 w cpf's), and has a sweet tank, choralline algae, and lots of other healthy specimans. Just lucky?? for 2 years?
Obviously, you should have no problem then with cyano. Guess I can't help ya. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry, its just frustrating. I've done water changes, I've changed the crushed coral, I,ve cleaned the filters, the hoses, the wet-dry, the canister, I've cleaned the rock. Work has slowed so theres not extra cash to try new bulbs or other possible maybe's. Even water changes cost. May have to call it a day. But thanks to all for all the input.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com