Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2005, 01:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Alright time for my input... I want to get zoos in my tank but all this talk about being killed and everything is kinda werid... What are the chances of someone actually dying from zoos also has it ever been reported... I usually worry about the electricty in my tank and not the corals. Well let me know I still think I am going to get some even if it could kill me I like the way they look

Old 01-07-2005, 01:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If you are cutting zoos in the tank will a latex hand glove be adequate? Seems like water will still get through. I have cut zoos a few times and have seen a cloud hit the water but was never really sure if this was harmful or not. Most corals secrete something when cut.

This is a bit scary but you don't hear about issues very often. I bought some plastic gloves that extend up to your shoulder but I can't use a razor blade with them and seems like they always develop a leak.

As for fragging, are you removing the colony from the tank and cutting with gloves and glasses?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2005, 09:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

seriously, how many people have died from fragging zoos?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

To my knowledge....none. But it would be hard to trace and keep track of.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've read about people having numbing sensations in their hands or weird reactions after having accidently wiped their mouth with a towel that they used to dry their hands. I'm glad to see that none of us know anyone (or of anyone) that has actually died from this (other than this guy's dog that I read about).

Does the water itself contain the toxin all of the time or is this a problem specifically with fragging them? I just need to know how and when to be a nutcase about this.

Has anyone had any reactions at all to the toxins?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
WOW! I never knew that about zoos. I guess that takes them off of my list. I wouldnt want my kittys to die.

-Matt
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think that some people may be more susceptible to the toxin. I've pulled zoas strait off of a rock with my bare hands, put them in a bag for a guy at the LFS, took them up there, and then with my bare hands took them out of the bag and stuck them into his nano. I know for a fact that I didn't was my hands and I probably ate a little something, and chewed on my finger nails and a bunch of other stuff that it would seem would be really dangerous. I've done that same thing a bunch of times and nothing has ever happened.

** BTW I don't have a death wish, the first time I ever read about them being toxic I stopped pretty much instantly and know I use a razor and was my hands really good every time. I'm probably luck I'm not dead....... that just goes to show you though, when it's your time to go, it's your time to go. I did however get these weird little bumps on my forearm that have since went away, I guess i didn't think it could have been my aquarium at the time and I though something just bit me.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Hmmm, I think the real question is how many micrograms can one zoo produce? I't quite possible that there is not enough in one zoo to kill you, o maybe there is enough in one zoo to kill abunch of people. IMO, it's better safe than sorry, which you've illustrated by changing the way you work with them once you learned, and a few simple precautions will keep you safe.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh, am I the only one who found potential uses for this?

Just kidding, of course.

Every website I've ever shopped, on all coral/anemone/poisonous fish, it states something similar to, "Be careful, this guy's got toxins! Possible fatal allergic reaction. Use gloves or net when handling this creature. Mild irritation may occur, simply wash with warm fresh water."

Not necessarilly all of the above, but a mix and match of those sentences. Regardless, as much as everything looks "soooo cute, I want to pet it!", aquatic life is quite different from your cute puppy dog (who can also kill you if large enough, and aggressive enough). Seems if this were really an issue, it would have been brought up before. I'm curious how this guy had his tank setup that a dog (probably a small <50lb dog) was able to lap up liquid from his tank. The toxin from these coral probably has to be harvested to create 4 microgram anyways. I would assume numbing, and tingling would be a normal and tolerable sensation from slicing these things, possibly even ingesting them (tho not suggested) without worry. If you have allergies to anything else, however, you probably want to avoid anything that even suggest toxins. Stick to goldfish. *smirk*

Hopefully this does not detract from someone's decision to purchase something. People purchase sharks for christ's sakes.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I'm curious how this guy had his tank setup that a dog (probably a small <50lb dog) was able to lap up liquid from his tank.
I beleive he was moving the tank and had the stuff in a rubbermaid tub for the move, it's been awhile since I read the thread, but that'
s the ist, the dog licked the zoos in a tub on the floor, not the tank.

Quote:
Seems if this were really an issue, it would have been brought up before
It has been, there are probably dozens of threads on this board alone, (over the course of the last two years) that mention zoos as toxic, and probably a half dozen or so specifically about the toxicity of zoos. This information has been brought up several times over the years on every fish board I visit.

Tags
zoos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com