Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2003, 09:01 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
No chemical off any kind has been used except for putting GAC in the sump when all this started happening.

We can add to the death toll, the blue hippo tang, the lawnmower blennie, the clam and sea apple. The red spots on the lion are getting worse and I am now pondering tankwide bacterial infection as the cause. Does this make sense to anyone? The only fish with outward signs of it would be the lionfish, as I had been trying to research the red spots and came up with that.

Old 05-29-2003, 09:06 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am terribly sorry for your losses Hara. I have no clue, my thoughts were the apple.

Old 05-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

The bacterial infection could be secondary. But it could be viral which would effect the fish, but not the corals to a large extent.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 09:30 PM   #24

Ok, think I will shed some info I got from a guy whos been doing this hobby for 15 years. He lives in the country and uses well water for his fills and top off. One day about 4 months ago, he was noticing his nitrates were very high and decided to do a water change. He did 60% at one time and wham all fish and inverts except for Corals died. I know this sounds like a recap of Haras story, however, this is the truth. He had very expensive fish in there and I got into a heated conversation because I asked him why 60% at one time. Come to find out, there were contaminates in his well water and it passed all of the tests he had until the city tested it because he noticed it didn't taste right. It had some sort of bacteria in it that was caused by what they said, and get this, rainfall and the nearby creek..I thought it was a load of crud myself, but, He has since gotten an RO unit and things are fine...He now uses it for drinking water too. All of his new fish are well.

PS,,,he explained to me that the reason for such large water changes was that he did not believe in skimming and DSB's go figure. To each his own right?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:49 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I do believe there is things that can live in water that will kill fish that we dont have test kits for. I mean, is there a such thing as a test kit to recognize pesticides, herbacides and all the other cides?
Old 05-29-2003, 10:04 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

The only thing is ... the other tanks, the seahorse and the 55 are fine. They all had water changes less than a week ago.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:10 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

OK, we have ruled out the source water as the problem. That leaves a condition in the tank that is effecting water quality, we have to ask why your nitrites and nitrates went up. Or disease. Or both. The high nitrites, which would likely effect the lion last could be the stressor that brought on a bacterial infection. Again my prob with the water quality issue is the lack of negative response from te corals.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:26 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe it is one of those cases like when you go to the Doc, and he says, I have never seen this before. Of course you get a little upset. I am sure someone will find it
Old 05-29-2003, 11:19 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

just lost the rabbitfish
Old 05-30-2003, 02:13 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unfortunately, I have no advice, just thought I'd chime in my experience. A number of years ago, I disrupted a pocket of hydrogen sulfide in my reef and didn't realize the damage I'd done until waking up the next morning to find all fish and most inverts dead. A few of the corals looked a bit stressed, but they all pulled through just fine. Not saying you've done anything to cause such a release, just that that was the only time I'd known of such immediate fish loss with no harm to corals. My heart goes out to you.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com