Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2003, 09:56 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
This morning, the readings are trites at .03 trates at 20.
The sailfin is barely alive and the other two fish, lion and sfe look very questionable. One of the hawaiian feather duster worms has left its tube.

Thanks all for the sympathy as there are not too many around who understand
what I am going through.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:42 AM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Hara,
I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this nightmare. I will only offer my sympathy and one opinion.
I would not rule out the well water in spite of no effect in the other tanks. It could have been a local contamination or other unkown. With the number of tanks and expense of inhabitants you have I suggest using RO/DI for your water. It will remove one unknown from the equation.

Hope things turn around for you.

Mark

Old 05-30-2003, 01:04 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to fergieturk
Hi Hara,
I've been following your situation, I'm really sorry for all your losses.
Is there anyway you can put the fish in a tank that is not affect by whatever is going on, just to prevent more losses? If course moving them would probably stress them more.... Just a suggestion. I hope everything works out for you.
Again, sorry for your losses.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:49 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

I have tried to move the fish on several occasions, the Naso tang killed himself by bashing the sides of the bucket, the flame ange, lmb, rabbitfish, all lived an extra day in a hospital tank. Moved the seaapple to a 30 gallon that had been up for months but had no inhabitants. All with the same end result.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:14 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hara,
I am so sory for all your losses. It sounds like a nightmare coming true. Is it possible that a contaminent was added to your tank by accident? Do you an outside cleaning crew? Maybe one of your buckets or tank tools was used by someone that didnt know any better.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:18 PM   #36

Hara, I just talked to the LFS owner here, and he said that a Sea Apple no matter how little the toxin, can kill all of your inhabitants, and the corals left untouched and then if large enough, can wipe out your tank altogether...There is an article that is in the FAMA magazine that mentions this also..June issue..

BTW, He will not sell them anymore due to the destruction they have caused him in the past...

Still sorry to hear about all this...
Old 05-30-2003, 04:26 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks Tim, the sea apple was removed as soon as the snails started falling off the walls, still very healthy and happy looking. We did not want it to toss its innards into the tank......and the seaapple toxins would not account for super high trites and trates frm what i have been told.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:36 PM   #38

Quote:
and the seaapple toxins would not account for super high trites and trates frm what i have been told
That may be however, all the death would..Rotting snails and what not.., The article in the FAMA is very adament about the reactions that Sea Apples take when threatened or feel threatened. They use the Toxin when they are frightened. That is why I said any amount of toxins enven small amounts..There is no test kit for this in our reach...JMO
Old 05-30-2003, 08:16 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I think Tim is on the right track. I have always been warned about sea apples, because of their abilty to wipe a tank out. Plus you are naturally going to have nitrate problems with dying snail. The only think that would throw this theory off is if you had a nitrate problem before there was death.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:50 PM   #40

I read the article again and I am going to make bold decision and say that the nightmare was caused by the Sea Apple. They do not have to burst or explode toi release toxins in the water. I am sorry for your loss and I hate to sound rough but, I would never own one of those. They are very beautiful but one of the most deadly things we can own in a tank.

PS. For anyone who wants a Sea Apple, I would recommend no Hermit crabs in the same tank, as they could possibly agitate it and cause extreme fatalities. Please educate yourself before purchasing.

Here is a good article on them from the Advanced Aquarist website:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...003/invert.htm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com