Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-30-2003, 09:43 PM   #41
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The sea apple has been out of this tank since Monday. The dead snails came out right away. GAC in large quanitities has been in the sump. The fish are still dieing.

In fact, the lionfish was just buried, the christmas tree rock taken out. And now, the corals are starting to show the ill effects, seem I wont escape with them alive either.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:51 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
There is nothing I can do to express me sorrow for you. I am terribly upset to see something so horrible happen to someone so nice. I hope things work out for and the corals are not next on the list.

If you don't love what you do, you'd better find something else to love. Otherwise, you don't have a reason for living.
-Ray B.
d9hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:33 PM   #43
OK, one last time and I will be quiet.

The only thing is ... the other tanks, the seahorse and the 55 are fine. They all had water changes less than a week ago.
This has nothing to do with your water or the water changes.

Evidence from your explanations point to one thing as follows:

The only thing that stays common no matter how justifiable it is, is the Sea Apple. The other tanks that are fine, did not have one in the tank. I hate to say it but I think you are being a little naive on the fact that the Sea Apple could have released a very small amount ot the toxins out before the snails died and then when you took it out, it could have released more wreaking havoc on the entire system.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:47 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus
no Tim, there is nothing naive about me. I understand that the sea apple can be considered a possibility, but not the only possibility, I want to make da*n sure that whatever it was does not happen again. I want to make sure that is what it was, not just surmise so. I am out fish that I worked my butt off to raise. Not to mention the cash loss of well over 500.00 now.

The serpent stars started with their bacterial infection about a week or more, before this happened, right after a water change. Then the Naso died, then the water change was done. Then all hell broke loose. The sea apple never changed his lifestyle one bit. and now the corals are crashing too.

Not all this is common to a sea apple issue.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:05 PM   #45
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Hara I understand your frustration and I must say I am at a complete loss as to what happened. I dont know what I would do in your situation. But I must say one thing that you are doing that is great. You are involing us in this situation that way we can all learn from this because of your unfortunate experiece, that is if we can pinpoint the cause. I hate to say it, because we know how he can be, but have you attempted to ask Dr. Ron Shimek or any other experts. Maybe one of them will know. They may not, and sometimes the responce may be rude, but I think its worth a try.
michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 12:05 AM   #46
AA Team Emeritus
my nerves are raw, I could not take "rude" right now. Not with any kinds of civility.
Maybe I will ask later, after I am more able to cope with it.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:19 PM   #47
AA Team Emeritus
any colleges or universities in your area? Any within a reasonable driving distance? See if they have a Marie Biology department. (maybe even one you could mail a water sample to) Tell them your situation and ask if you can send a water sample. They may be able to test it with other methods not available/feasable to the hobbiest. Some professors may even make it a challenge assignment to his/her students. "What's wrong with this water? any thing? Find out and earn extra credit."

it's worth a try.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 08:46 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not going to add my 2 cents...I'm just letting you know that my thoughts are with you and I hope the corals get through.
125 gal mixed REEF
PrettyFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 11:10 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to gucci2 Send a message via Yahoo to gucci2
gucci2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 12:50 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak
sooooo sorry!

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com