Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2004, 11:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

There are thingies in my aquarium!

I'm not sure what they are...they look like little underwater lice or something, sort of transparent white with tiny black eyes and three long antannaes. Their bottom halves of their bodies curl under and thats how they walk around, sort of curled under like-looks like they can hold food in their front legs and hold the food up to their mouths with their little arms. I'm sure their not mantis-they come out in the light and dont have those funny eyes...but there are literally hundreds infesting the live rock! Are they bad??? Good??? What the heck are they?? I watched them for a long time-they're kind of territorial it seems, chase each other around and hide out in little holes in the live rock. They range from almost an inch to itty bitty and barely visible. So what the heck are they?? Thanks!

Old 02-01-2004, 11:22 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: There are thingies in my aquarium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImLookinForNemo
I'm not sure what they are...they look like little underwater lice or something, sort of transparent white with tiny black eyes and three long antannaes. Their bottom halves of their bodies curl under
Amphipods. Completely harmless and beneficial detrivors.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-01-2004, 11:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think it's an amphipod...It looks pretty much like one...so are they harmless? bad? good?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:25 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImLookinForNemo
so are they harmless? bad? good?
Harmless!! :P

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

nice! phew...for once, i got some good hitchhikers
Old 02-01-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

at the moment, there are no fish in my tank-just live rock....once i put fish in, will these guys be a yummy treat for them?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's a good thing. When I started my first 55 gal aquarium, I had a bunch of live rock and very few critters. I had coepods, amphipods etc.. crawling arround like crazy. I thought my tank was infested with some sort of parasite.

Sometimes they get cought in your skimmer and in your filters. No big deal. My wife like to save their little lives and put them back in the tank. They're cool. They live in the nooks and crannies and help clean up a bit.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to blaster
I say that if you see Amphipods in your tanks it is very good news. i remembered when I first saw them that I freaked out but later found that it was a good sign.

Some SW fish like eating them as well.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com