Theres a killer on the loose!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stainless_wm

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just added 2 peppermint shrimp and an arrow crab to my tank. That night I noticed the arrow running around with a hermit crab in his claw (Minus the shell of course) I initially wasnt too worried about it because this one wasnt looking too good in the first place. But the next day I noticed another corpse, and several empty hermit shells.
Do you think the Arrow Crab is pulling them out?

Also, I think the shrimp are in love, they spent the first day hiding inside the shipwreck dancing back and forth, crawling all over each other,,, looked like a couple of teenagers. Any thoughts?

TIA
Wade

Hi! I don't know about the arrow crab, haven't had one ... but are you sure they aren't molts he is running with? Is he a lot bigger? If you notice him with another corpse I would take him back or put him in the sump... if he is killing of your clean up crew and it's not the norm for arrow crabs, maybe this one is off a little and you can just exchange him for a safer, nicer guy.

But the shrimp do sound like they are woo-ing each other... sounds romantic in their new shipwreck home :)

Arrow crabs are a lot bigger than the hermits, but they arent supposed to be violent. Or at least thats what I thought, As for the Arrow carrying the dead around the tank, he might have been scavenging, but the other corpse I found and the empty shells means there is something going on. They could be starving out, or any other number of things.

So I wonder how long the gestation cycle is for peppermint shrimp??? Hmmm now I will have to think of a hundred names for them lol "ok let's name this half Coral JR and this half Marlin JR" lol

It seems like the rest of the hermit crabs are doing ok, I guess I just had a few die off and the Arrow was just doing his job.

Back
Top Bottom