They are dropping like flies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrkalot

Aquarium Advice Activist
Our baby regal tang didn't make it. She took her last breath around 9pm last night... not unexpected but dissapointing none the less.

Over night we lost 1 green chromis and the small male clown to the over flow. We found another green chromis in the over flow and he was looking pretty bad (was starting to get picked on by the other chromis)... he's breathing hard and almost seems to be blind... swimming head on into rock etc. We moved him to the QT tank but he looked like hell this afternoon. One more chromis is acting in a similar way... still in the main tank.

I'm sure the two green chromis will be gone by the time I get home.

This hobby really sucks sometimes.

Sorry to hear about everything.. I've definately had my share of heart breaks in this hobby. Try not to get too discouraged. Eventually things will start looking up.

What are your water paramaters? Since this is your 2nd regal, I would have to hope that you don't get another until you solve whatever killes the last 2. As I said before I think your last one died the same way and just ended up in the PH.

The first one got sucked up by the PH. It was petty active and eating tons with in 24 hours. The second one hid 24/7 and we only saw her eat once in 6 days... and that was near the end. We got them both from the same lfs. No visible signs of ick.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
PH - 8.2
Temp 78-79
SG 1.022

Is there something else we should be testing for?

The odd of us ever getting another Regal Tang are pretty slim at this point. Unless we find one a little bigger and "fall in love at first site". Even then I think we'll be hard pressed to get one. Even the larger ones we've seen seem really timid and ultra sensitive.

They aren't the best choice, ecspecially for beginners whith tangs. Not saying you are, but I am assuming you may be. There are many other choices such as the Kole tang, Yellow tang, Scopas, Mimc tang, Atlantic blue, and the list goes on. These guys would fare much better, and im sure you would enjoy a fish that does well rather than always worrying whether or not it will make it. Best of luck, and I hope you find another tang that works out. Also the chromis are a bit sensitive, I bought 6 and ended up with 3. They are doing very well, and I have no idea what happened to the other 3, but they seem to do best in odd numbers and they always school. (they didn't school when I had 6). I know my perc clowns at night always swim around near the surface this is probably your problem. Just try to mesh it off or something. Well hope you start having better luck, and hope whats left pulls through. (y)

Back
Top Bottom