Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

This doesnt look good. Patches on my Royal Gramma

Last Tues I noticed 2 milky white patches on the side my Royal Gramma.
My water parms are good. I change 20 percent every 2 weeks.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
SG 1.024
Temp 78

I added the 6 line wrasse and the Royal GRamma on 09/15
I noticed the patches on 09/21
they were the last fish I added.

My guess is when I set up my chiller I brought the temp. down too fast.
I had a 4 degree swing. Maybe that caused the stress, I dunno.

I fully understrand the benefits of QT but decided to take my chances.
So now I am in a Jam. Here come the I told you so's. hehe

My LFS says to wait and see if the symptoms progress.
So far they havent
They told me it could be anything. Could be minor could be major.
he is eating like a hog.

I started feeding Garlic.

I've read just about every post on Ich and Velvet.

I know the best option is to QT and go without Fish in my
display tank for 6 weeks or so.

Then treat the QT with copper or hypo.

That isnt an option I have available right now.
I am taking a long vacation in the next few weeks and wont be able to
be on top of a QT tank. Not to mention I have no room for a second set
up. my wife thinks I am already over obssesed with SW thing. Another tank in the house wouldnt be good if you know what I mean.

I can image the major task to catch the fish with all the LR.
My Goby lives in the LR. I would never get him.

All I've read about the reef safe treatments are hit or miss.
I really dont want to medicate the display tank. Most everyone seems
against it.

it's been 5 days so far and the symptoms havent progressed.
Should they have gotten worse yet or does it take a few weeks,

Here are some pics. The color is slightly off making everything look
darker than it is. The patches are a shade of milky white. they are
not dark.

Does anyone know what this is? My Guess is Velvet. just figuring the worst. Why not? I know I deserve it for not QT. that would be murphys law.

is it something not as bad? are There other diseases or parasites it
could be other than Velvet and could be treated with antibiotics?
or another treatment.

If this is Velvet or Ich, besides not working what would be bad about hitting the main tank with a reef safe med. If you werent going to QT Isnt it worth a shot?

If you didnt go the QT route what are the options?

What do you guys think? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for the help in advance and I'll keep everyone posted.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

how do the eyes look? cloudy?

Old 09-26-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggybank2005
how do the eyes look? cloudy?
No the eyes are not cloudy. They look normal

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
Old 09-26-2004, 01:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Doesn't look like ich, velvet (when visible) usually starts around the giils or fins and is a rust color.
Don;t know what to think. If she is acting normal, eating?
I would just keep an eye out.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Doesn't look like ich, velvet (when visible) usually starts around the giils or fins and is a rust color.
Don;t know what to think. If she is acting normal, eating?
I would just keep an eye out.
Man does that make me feel better that it doesnt look like Velvet.

She is acting Totally normal. Swiming around, eating.
no signs anything is wrong other than the patches.

Guess I'll have to sit tight and see how it plays out.

Maybe it's a fungal thing?

Old 09-27-2004, 04:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

No changes so far after day 6.
He is acting and eating normal.

it has not gottent better or worse.
Today is day 3 on the Garlic.

Anyone have any clues or Advice?

THANKS

Old 10-04-2004, 09:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well it's been about two weeks now and The conditions never changed.
my Royal Gramma is alive and well. She still has the patches on her side.

It almost looks like she scratched herself in the LR, thats what I am thinking now.

I have been adding Garlic for over a week now.

Is it safe to say this is not a Parasite at this point ?

I would like to add some more fish in the future and want to make sure I would be introducing them to a healthy environment. I may have avoided a bullet this time and plan to set up a QT before adding new fish.

When should I be in the clear and is there any meds I should treat with?

Thanks

Old 10-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine has the exact same spots, I think it's just the natural changes as they age thing.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

well my Gramma has gone to the big fish tank in the sky...

it looked as if she was getting better. the white patch had been gone for a while and it looked as if it was healing up. She was eating like a hog.

I waited too long to get her out and now
The Crabs have taken her under the rocks for a meal.

Everyone else looks healthy and I'll just wait and see how everything goes over the next several weeks.

I guess that gives me time to add more corals.

Thanks for the Help!

Old 10-17-2004, 07:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry that you lost your gramma. Watch those levels since you were not able to get him out. Could have an ammonia spike.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
royal, royal gramma

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com