Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
When i bought it, i was told it was reef safe, and that i wouldnt harm any other fish, thats the reason i bought it. THere is a reason why its called a community tank.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Its sad when aquarists blame it on the animals they have instead of their own.
I agree. It could have been handled better. Yes, they will just grow back...what then?

Old 02-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
well, he did get punished.. unfortunatley, but i was looking into the best interest of the others! And another inhabitant broke off his first claw, i only did the second after the idea was passed on to me!
Seriously, do not go and mutilate your livestock just because you made a bad decision. Once you take owership of a species, you are responsible for attempting to take care of it to the best of your ability. If it was trouble in your tank, I am sure a LFS would have taken it off your hands and let another fishkeeper have it.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 02-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

These post always make me cringe a bit...Trapping a CBS using a "bottle fish trap" would take a few minutes at most b/c ,as you've noticed, they have hearty appetites. Give it to a LFS or another reefer whos interested.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
mine gets a bit angry every now and then. but he has never really tried to cause damage.

alot of times, if you see your shrimp eating a dead fish, chances are that shrimp grabed the fish after it died of some other cause.

They are scavengers you know.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Poor shrimp. I agree if it's not working out in your tank, why not take it back?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
When i bought it, i was told it was reef safe
I was told this particular slug was reef safe as well, when it died, it killed off half my Nano. I went out and bought an invert book and found the slug in it. Discription said it is extremely toxic and could kill all tank inhabitants. Took the book into the LFS and showed the sales man. They did give me 50 credit.

Another mis informed guy here at work bought a 12gal nano as well. The *!@*#&!
idot at the LFS said a REGAL Tang was ok, need less to say it lived three whole weeks. Also told him a plate coral was OK, with the stock 24W lights.

Bottom line is you need to get more than one opinion, especially if you are unsure of the knowledge given to you, even by a LFS. Sometimes LFS are the worst (dumbest).

This site will help alot. You can ask one question and get alot of input from alot of knowledge and experience.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Let's not be too hard on him. He was given bad info by his LFS. Still shouldn't have broken his claw off but I'm sure each one of us has made a mistake somewhere along the lines in our fish keeping experiences.

But I also agree you should take the shrimp back. It's better for his well-being as well as your tank...Oh, and boycott your LFS!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Oh, and boycott your LFS
I know I did and I'm sure most have done the same at least once.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
thanks i think! Yea im not gonna go breaking his claws anymore, he is very hard to catch, but when i do get him, ill return him and hopefully replace him with a cleaner shrimp.

Tags
eat, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com